Anchor Points

Guest Ratcatcher3D

Guest Ratcatcher3D

Hi Guys just want to get some opinions on seat belt anchor points. The 2 rear seat belt anchor points are standard ones on the 2B, the other 2 anchor points I have connect to the bolts that are anchoring the seat to the floor. Do you think this will be ok for SVA, I have been reading through the book and can't find a reason why it wouldn't.

All opinions will be appreciated.

Cheers

You need a bar that goes from one chassis rail to the other. I used 30mm by 30mm right angle bar. The ends are bolted to the outer chassis rail on both sides and the seats and inner belt mounts are bolted through the floor and this bracket, although separately. The outer mounts in the chassis by the subframe plate are what I used for the outer lower belt mounts.

I agree, you will fail the IVA if you don't secure the anchor points to a solid fixed rail. Also the nuts must be captive.

Take a look at my web site. http://www.johnskitcar.com and look under the 6th tab 'The Build' and then the 9th drop down 'Seats & seat belts'.

There are some pictures on there and description, hope this helps.

John

Guest Ratcatcher3D

I have got two 300mmx8mm steel plates welded to the chassis on both sides. The link below should show you what iv done, do you think it will be allright for SVA???

Just had a look at yours John and it is very simlar only difference I don't have the L shaped brackets of steel to anchor sealt belts into.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150350909272452.340820.708727451&type=3

Jay

Guest Alan_builder

Hi All

First I don't remember seeing that the nuts must be captive. At one time you had to be able to reach both ends or it should be captive, but I think you will find that has been taken out.

The bolts must be 8.8 or better / equivalent and 7/16 inches (11mm), 10mm are a fail.

The point in bolting the seat is to increase the load spread of you and the seat, so the above bolt for the seat belt and a 10mm for the seat is what they expect. Your task will be to prove to the examiners satisfaction that the bolts you use are up to the job when you use one bolt only for both seat and belt.

Using a flat plate may be a problem, it has no depth for loading and will bend under a crash. A 30 mm deep web is what the tester is looking for.

A fail is another £100 and of course the test is now IVA

Guest peter2b2002

on my 2b I put a 30x30 mm angle bar across the whole width + I also used the plates that came off the doner tow bar mounts, also my seat belt brackets had a 5mm hole through them to fix them in place and a captive nut, no problem with the sva man

peter2b

on my 2b i have a piece of angle that is welded between the subframe mounts flat up against the floor. My handbrake cables are mounted through this and also the seatbelt pick ups in the middle.

for the inner mounts i took some 3mm x 40mm flat steel and put a 90degree twist in it and then bent the one end at a slight angle as a tab. this means that the tab is bolted through the floor with the bar now coming up and forward, the twist then turns the bar virtical so that when the seatbelt is bolted to it it comes over you lap nicely

if you just bolt it to the floor without the twist the belt mounting is being pulled up at a weird angle as it is trying to bend the belt mounting and teh belt is twisted as it comes up around the seat.

basically the mounting should be through a horizontal hole like on the outer mounting which is why i made the twist to mount it

hope that makes sense?