Honda Fireblade Carb Conversion

gomatthome

Not me but this may help?

Assuming the timing is already correctly set start off by setting the idle screws all the same 2 ½ -3 turns out, then balance the carbs when it is running either with a flow meter or listening to the sound of the suck with a bit of rubber hose. One of the carbs is the master, probably the one with the cable connected so get the next carb in the line sucking the same amount by adjusting the throttle linkage screws, then the next and so on. You will have to adjust the idle speed as you do this as the revs will be going up and down. This will give you a good starting point, if there is a lot of spitting back through the carbs at idle and slight throttle opening or overrun then the idle mixture needs richening. If the exhaust is sooty after normal driving then perhaps the needles could be lowered to lean the mixture if it is sooty after a real thrashing then the mains are probably too big. Conversely if the exhaust is very pale and it struggles under load then the needles need raising and possibly bigger mains, but without a rolling road session it will be just trial and error, do runs then check plug colours to get an idea of what is going on.

Guest jasonmorris

Phil I've sent you a pm regarding the timing light, but basically I'm gonna av a crack at it tomorrow and then I can drop it off for you. Just pm me your address.

Rgds,

Jason

You really need them setting up on a dyno, they will never be right till you do. they will probably have main jets that are way to big for your engine. no amount of tweaking at home will get them right, you need an AFR meter to measure the exhaust gas. give Russ at torque tune a try.

Will start and run on tick over but if i try to apply any pressure on the accelerator then it just stalls so at the moment I could not get it down to Talk Tune.

Yesterday received the timing light so will set up this weekend (should be able to get it to tick over at 1000rpm) and will see if that helps and then will try messing around with the idle screw as peter suggests.

Any other suggestions welcome.

phil