Slow Starting

Guest paulrrh2b

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi All,

I have a 2.1 Pinto in my 2b and it's developed a slow start problem. I have tried the following:

1. Replaced battery with new

2. Checked timing - ok

3. Spun with plugs dis'd - still slow

4. All connections positive and good

5. Tried with leads direct from positive on battery to starter and negative from battery to good earth on block -still slow

My instinct says the starter is on it's way out?

Any further input or experiences greatly appreciated?

Regards

Paul

Do check ignition timing before spending on a starter.

To advanced ignition on cranking can cause very slow starting.

That said I had very slow starting, jumped with another battery, still slow also connected my mates Desiel insignia ( massive battery) now 3 batteries and when I cranked his headlights dimmed!!!

Smoke out of the started.

Checked timing, new thicker leads and earth swapped starters, worked ok

Guest paulrrh2b

Thanks Guys,

Yes, Happy New Year to all.

Its certainly looking like a starter issue. I have a one lined up so hopefully can swap out at the weekend!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paulrrh2b

So, I have put a new starter in and the problem is still there. I've noticed that when it attempts to crank the rev counter seems to rise to around 3000 rpm??

So I have disconnected the live from the battery and the starter and replaced with a jump lead- still the same. The only wires left connected are the two smaller wires connected with the large live and the small wire to the solenoid from ignition 3, however I'll try it without these in the morning.

It's as if it sounds like a huge drain is occurring when the starter is trying to turn?.

Any ideas, help or pointers greatly appreciated?

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

Yep tried those. However, just noticed that the battery is 360 amp and 40 amp hour. Is this enough? As if I connect up to the X 5 and leave it a couple of minutes, it seems to put a bit more umph into the battery and fires no problem.

Just before I have to go out, I've noticed that if disconnect and then reconnect the ht leads fro. The plug it spins fast and fires then runs perfectly!

Not sure if this significant or not. So battery back on charge and try again tomorrow.

hold on, i missed your comment on the HT lead. Does sounds like over advanced timing. The mixture is ignited too early and the flame hits the piston on the upstroke, slowing it down.

Guest paulrrh2b

Yeah, if I disconnect the leads and crank it it's still slow but when reconnected then it spins faster and can fire. However over lunch I'm thinking that the wait time of disconnecting and reconnecting the leads may give the battery a rest period??

Looking on line people are suggesting anywhere between 520 and 720 CCA!

Guest paulrrh2b

All,

Tries with a 380 CCA battery this morning at minus 8. It turns over faster and starts!!

I will leave it a day or so and see what happens. Hopefully that is the end of the saga and I bought / didn't check the CCA on the new battery!

I should know better to check the obvious things first!