Zero Exhaust Mounting

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Happy new year all!

Ive had a few weeks off the build since our baby boy was born and am now heading back off to the garage :)

I'm abou to ordera Radiator, the CAT and exhaust from GBS and was wondering if anyone had any advice and pictures of the mounting of the system.

I have the GBS manifold (self explanatory) but as the zorst is a very visual part of the car I want to make sure its done right from the get go. Any help much appreciated.

PS. Last parts to be ordered before its ready for IVA! 8)

Hammy

Guest scrabster

hi hammy,the usual way the gbs silencer is mounted is through a bracket welded to the exit bend right by your right thigh.bolted through the side panel one above and one below the diagonal bracing tube.it does make the s/s panel flex when the engine runs so i welded a flat bracket to the diagonal tube bracings,flush with the side panel and drilled through this and it made a big difference,no more wobbly can and better seal between can and manifold.my build was 3-4 yrs ago so there could have been improvements since.hth.

regards,jess.

Guest Hammy360

Thanks Jess, I presume you're Pinto? My right thigh will be on the other side lol. That said it means the same the other side of the car?

Ive seen newer zeros with bobbins on, can anyone shed any light?

Thanks again Jess

Guest dctough

I've used the "exhaust mounting kit" from GBS and seems to work ok after a bit of 'fitting'. The bracket fits to the chassis rail underneath the car. Before cutting metal i would dry fit the exhaust system a make sure everthung is close to where it should be. Initially my silencer wouldn't fit as it wastrying to go through my side panel. I had to change the exhaust manifold as the angle of the pipe coming out of teh 4-1 wasn't quite right. Apparently there is some variablilty in the exhaust manifolds.

I fitted the bracket to get the front/rear position of the bobbin where i wanted it. I then had to get the blow torch out an heat up the exhaust so i could adjust the exhaust to tweak the up/down left/right position of the exhaust mounting hole so it would line up with the bobbin. I found heating the point where the exhaust goes from 4 to 1 works best as the stainless is thinnest at this point, it is a good distance from the rear mounting point which minimises the amount of distortion of the 4-1 point required to get the mounting hole and the bobbin to line up.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Guest mower man

As said in posts above bobbins need to be unstressed , the best imp I made on my car was to fit a s/s flexi between manifold and silencer and also have 2 mounts for the silencer its self .Use Mikalor clamps which can be positioned to be IVA freindly mower man HTH

This has been a 'problem' for years with all seven exhausts. They are a bit shorter than tintop pipes and tend to be supported only at the ends. No reason you cant support them at the manifold to silencer join as well. Toss up wether bobbins there will introduce more stress than only supporting at the ends and a risk the will cook. Bobbins of the sizes everyone uses are designed to be used in compression so dangling the exhaust off one or two bobbins in shear is asking for trouble. Putting one in shear and one in compression works fine. Make a bracket like the pic and bolt or weld to a strong point on the car, two bobbins and you're good to go. Do it at each end of the silincer if you're feeling nervous. However in practice the small ammount of play at this joint seems to act as a stress reliever to prevent fracture and the lack of support doesn't seem to matter long term.

Nigel

post-21-0-99453600-1325853052_thumb.jpg

If you're gonna have one, have a biggun...

The new silencer has two of these, one at each end, fitted so there is no tension/compression/shear forces. The U bracket lines up with the 2 mounting holes on the bobbin

BTW IIRC they are Mini engine mounts.

HTH Bob

post-71-0-14674000-1325950343_thumb.jpg

Guest merc190provan

I have a Zetec engined Zero and have recently ordered the exhaust and mounting kit, although not fitted yet i seem to remember that the bracket is rivnutted to the chassis and has a large bobbin mounted in compression.