Engine To Tall, Touches Bonnet

Guest captn Pugwash

Guest captn Pugwash

:( :( :( has anyone had a problem with the engine in a exmo being to tall, using the standard engine boxes as supplied and welded to the skids, 2 lt pinto with standard mounts, The rocker cover oil cap touches the bonnet and the carb is 3/8ths of an inch from the bonnet.

any advice appreciated. send any images you might have to help me please :( :( :(

It sound as though the skids have not been push back far enough. The back of the gearbox should almost be touching the bodywork. Only other thing you can do is raid the nose cone, or drill out the current holding point for the engine, and mount the mounts inside the box (They do say about this on the build videos, but I've never seen anyone do it)

Guest boggie

Hi Dave,

My money is with Matt's answer. I fitted a pinto into my exmo and there is about 10mm clear between the top of the oil filler cap and the bonnet, I just put it in and it fits fine. The bonnet is higher the further back you go so mount the engine as far back as you can - the modified propshaft is quite short so you should get away with it, no problem. If you have already bolted the sledges in place and don't want to start again you could try cutting off a little of the 'pipe' the oil cap fits into and shorten the cap accordingly.

Good luck, Boggie

Guest djswain1

As the "brumster" said you can play with the nosecone height. You can see from my pic that my engine is also well back in the engine bay as Matt stated.

post-6-1083105168.jpg