Bleeding Nightmare!

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Hi,

Ive been trying to bleed the brakes on my Zero (again) and have read through old posts so thought I'd start a new one. My Zero has discs all round and I have a brand new master cylinder and reservoir. I definitely have air some where because if I pump the brakes they will eventually firm up and work. I am loathe to start clamping the braided hoses to see if its one particulair corner and I have confirmed caliper fitting on the front, ie: front calipers nipple up and rears nipple down. I am lost can anyone help???

Hammy

Guest mcramsay

apologies if i am teaching you to suck eggs but here is what i would do.

-first get the misses out to the garage and get her to sit in the drivers seat.

-get her to pump the pedal untill she can feel some pressure on the pedal, at this point get her to keep her foot on the pedal.

-go to the passenger side front and open the nipple. (the pedal should hit the floor) close the bleep nipple before you let the pedal come back up to its resting position.

-repeat the above again and again untill you get fluid out. then do the drivers side and the rear of the car. then go around and do them all again untill you get a nice firm pedal

i always find the trick is to get pressure on the pedal, hold the pressure on and then undo the nipple. its a 2 person job unless you have a fancy easy bleed (which i would suggest getting by the way. makes things a hell of a lot easyer)

Guest Getting There

Hammy

Make sure you take the rear calipes off and point the nipples upwards, but still have something the same thickness as the disks between the pads whilst you bleed, when bled refit them to the disks. Normally the calipers point the nipples upwards on the Sierra.

, if you dont take them of you will have loads of air in the rear calipers.

Hope that help.

Chris

Hey up mate, I have an hydraulic brake bleeding kit cause the pumping action is far too much for me and the mrs :rofl: . I fill the container up with fluid and use tyre pressure to force it round the car whilst I go round and do each nipple. I then go round with mrs stepping on pedal to check

Hi Hammy,

I have yet to fit mine properly and mounted the callipers with the nipple down, I was told this was incorrect by a few NZ forum members and would cause issues when bleeding them.

Do they have to have the nipples down? and why?

Boffy

your rear calipers need spining over to bleed up. no need to purchase anything

flip them over and fasten them in situ so they still have the thickness correct in between. then bleed and then refit

Guest Hammy360

your rear calipers need spining over to bleed up. no need to purchase anything

flip them over and fasten them in situ so they still have the thickness correct in between. then bleed and then refit

Thanks for all your help guys, but Im a bit lost... are you saying fit the rears upside down then bleed and then fit the right way round??? Surely it shouldnt be that complicated? :help:

Guest Hammy360

Purchase a brake bleed kit from Halfords (Gunsons make one I think?) and you can do the job on your own in less than 30 minutes!

Carl

Have one and that doesnt help............

calipers should always be fitted bleed nipple up..as air rises.

sometimes on kit cars due to fitment issues they may have to be fitted upside down. but they cant be bled in this way.

you may have em the wrong way round...or they may have to go on like that

Guest boggybogstar

Hi john

My rears are fitted with nipple facing down but yes you haveto take them off to bleed otherwise the air will get stuck in the top bit!

Simply refit when done :-)

When i first put them in i used a piece of clear pipe and literally sucked the fluid through the system, worked a treat and thethroat was only sore for a couple of months!

Edited by Tony B

Guest Getting There

HI

The reason the caipers are pointed with the nipples down is for the handbrake cable to fit in a nice route. Thy will fit the other way up but the handbrake cable fouls on the body. The way all the GBS cars have them is with the nipple down, its just a bit awkward to bleed; but then again its only a once a year / 2 year job anyway and it is really easy.

Thanks

Chris