Engine Swop Shock!

Guest ollie chapman

Guest ollie chapman

Here's one for you - swopped my 1.8 pinto for 2. litre Zetec as one does and notified DVLA of the change.

They now want:

A receipt on headed paper from a garage confirming the engine number, size and fuel type.

An inspection report from the AA or RAC!!

An inspection report provided for insurance purposes or

Written confirmation from the manufacturer showing engine number and size.

"If your existing engine has been converted or the change took place before you bought the vehicle we will accept:

Written confirmation on headed paper from the garage that carried out the conversion,

or

Written confirmation on headed paper froman independent garage.

Anyone ever heard of this? All I wanted to do was inform the DVLA to get an accurate V5. The engine was bought through the forums. Does the Club have any input in handling this query?

Any advice please. Thanks.

This has been in place for a couple of years now, it's to provide an evidence chain to cut down on thefts, ringing etc.

You'll have to get friendly with a local garage and get them to do you a letter, or come up with the paperwork from elsewhere, nudge nudge wink wink

Most garages I know are under the arches type, very busy and run by an owner who would rather be working than writing letters. Ask first but write something appropriate yourself clearly giving the required information including engine number, take it along and just get a signature. I have the same problem at present. ST170 in there for two years replacing the zetec. It has no engine number on it! Too difficult to change with DVLA. New engine has a number, horay, so I will finaly get round to being legal again once I swap. More important to keep the insurance company up to date with what is under the bonnet including mods. I even quote latest BHP figures. Doesn't seem to change the premium. 187 BHP. That will be £86 please sir.

Nigel

Guest snotfart

this is bullsh1t with dvla staff making up the rules as they go,the law states that you must inform them of the change and no more.i undertook a letter exchange over many weeks stressing just that point,at first with no joy just the stock response you wrote above,however when i pointed out that i had taken legal advice they changed their tune and settled for the reg no of the replacement engines donor,i was still not happy to provide this but my advisor reckoned it was time to cut and run as i would most likely get no further with them.this took place quite recently i dont think the legislation has changed since.

dave

Guest The Modfather

What happens if you don't know the registration of the vehicle that the engine came from? I guess you're back to square one. I cannot see it being a problem asking a garage to confirm the points requested. May cost you £20 or so. I need to get mine done, absolutely forgot that I had to do it......

Guest Mr_Frosty

So what happens if I were to swap my 2.0lt pinto and put a 2.0lt zetec or duratec in. Surely it's still just a 2.0lt?

If I get round to doing that at some point I don't think I'd tell them.

Guest jasonmorris

In response to above, you will need to change the engine number on the V5 so you still have to tell DVLA even if you swap one type of 2 litre for another 2 litre i.e. pinto for zetec. If you have an accident and the engine number on your V5 doesn't match what's in your car then I'm sure any insurance company would love to exercise their right to not pay out.

Rgds,

Jason

its all a bit ridiculous when you actually try and do the right thing and they make you just through hoops. The criminals will still keep being criminals and its just more difficult for the rest of us.

Even with all that info how would they know you haven't had it overbored? etc

As above i'd try and find a local friendly garage. Get them to do the tracking at teh same time or something and they will probbably be happy enough. Also take loads of pictures with it in the car and running if poss (not sure how to show that on a picture).

good luck sure you'll get it sorted soon

• 1 month later...
Guest ollie chapman

Hi guys! Just to update on the engine swop shock - returned from hols today to find v5 in post...

Simply wrote to Ford Technical Information Centre, PO Box 300, Walsall, WS5 4QH giving them the engine number and they confirmed the engine date manufactured, size (cc) and date installed into a Ford vehicle (in this case Mondeo) Sent this to Swansea,

Guest ollie chapman

Hi guys! Just to update on the engine swop shock - returned from hols today to find v5 in post...

Simply wrote to Ford Technical Information Centre, PO Box 300, Walsall, WS5 4QH giving them the engine number and they confirmed the engine date manufactured, size (cc) and date installed into a Ford vehicle (in this case Mondeo) Sent this to Swansea,

Job Done! :yahoo: