Powder Coating

Guest night hawk

Guest night hawk

Bought the home powder coating set up last year from the show, first chance i have had to use it, all be it on boat propellers, Looks like new (black gloss), in fact a few friends thought they were new. (did not want to do anything for the 2B until tested) Looking forward to doing parts of the car now. Can recommend the kit. Loads of colours as to choose from as well.

• 1 month later...

How much was this kit? I may look at one to use on my newest project.

Daz

Hi Daz

Hi have got a powerder coater from these guys and for the price its brilliant

i dont believe you live to far away from me so you can borrow mine if you like.

I have done my brake caliper steering column and drive shafts and all come out like new.

Guest The Modfather

How do you bake the powder? I'm not going to get my bike frame in the oven! Smaller items won't be a prob, but I've also got a set of rigid girder forks to do as well.

I'm only on the other side of AWE so very close to you. Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it.

Daz

You can bake the powder in front of any radiating heat source. I use a portable small gas fire and halogen heater to do the job.

I tried a heat gun, but that just blows the powder off before it can bake it.

Nice thing is, if you c*ck it up, you can just go over it again as I found out when I dropped a piece on carpet and it got all fluffy !

Simon.

How do you bake the powder? I'm not going to get my bike frame in the oven! Smaller items won't be a prob, but I've also got a set of rigid girder forks to do as well.

I'm only on the other side of AWE so very close to you. Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it.

Daz

You can bake the powder in front of any radiating heat source. I use a portable small gas fire and halogen heater to do the job.

I tried a heat gun, but that just blows the powder off before it can bake it.

Nice thing is, if you c*ck it up, you can just go over it again as I found out when I dropped a piece on carpet and it got all fluffy !

Simon.

I will second that balls up the first couple of attempts but just sand it back and re coat comes up like new. you can even do fancy glitters effect job which i plan on trying tomorrow if i dont rink to much tonight.

Daz

I used a patio heater from class olson for 25 quid i managed a mountain bike frame for a friend came up good took a while to cure. for large or small item i got told a little trick from the chap who sold it to me.

Build a double skin plasterboard box with the front open and this will retain the heat and fire proof up to 2 hours if it goes tits up

Do you have any pictures or a design for this "oven" that you created? It sounds just like what I need. :)

Simon.

Sorry i don't. i dismantled the last one as it was taking up space in the garage

very simple to make i use a timber frame. then screw a back and side and a top and bottom to it, leaving the front open so i could get the heater facing the item. i plan on making a smaller one next week end to finish off my brake calipers brackets. i will post some picture when i do it.