Help....chuffing Thing!

gncgray

Afternoon all

Just about throw in the towel.

I am running a black top Zetec using the existing injectors and GBS rather nice plenum chamber.

I have fuel and a spark but it will not fire....its not even trying to start. I have all the correct fuel pumps and filters. The ecu is correctly configured for that engine too.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Graham

PS. the car was running ok before I put GBS`s plenum on. Cant see how that would be the problem though.

Afternoon Steve

The plugs are really wet and black!!! I have checked and double checked everything. I thought perhaps the seal on the plenum wasn't great and letting in air but I have put loads of sealant on it.

I have pressure on the fuel return back to tank so not sure what the problem could be.

Are there any local mechanics about?????

Graham

Seeing as its quite cold the auto choke may not be working correctly and thus allowing the engine to flood, take the plugs out dry them off, warm them a bit and try again, test for a spark at the plugs before putting them back.

Fingers crossed you get it started.

What do you mean by not trying to start? Is it turning over when you crank it? Have u tested the spark to see if your getting anything? Are you getting any reading the pressure regulator and check if fuel is going through as normal. I dont know what ecu you have but check the ecu is powered correctly. keep at it mate your almost there

The zetec plugs are incredibly sensitive. If they are wet and black then that is certainly part of the problem of it not even firing. You may find once running that you'll have to change them as they can be the cause of quite rough running.

Problem always in these scenarios is to eliminate the original cause first. As others have said check for spark and ensure all other sensors working OK. Can you plug a laptop in to see what the ECU is reading across various parameters?

Andy

Guest peter2b2002

just a thought, are you getting too much fuel pressure going to the injectors, on my efi pinto I used an after market fuel pressure adjuster , engine ran fine for 20 mins then due to a blocked pipe put full pump pressure into the injectors , couldn't get it to run just wet plugs, plugs sparked when taken out but not when I put them back in due to too much fuel

peter2b

Thanks guys for the replies

I am running a Megasquirt ECU with a Innovate LC 1 wideband sensor. I have put spark plug testers on and there is a spark. I have been over the ecu all afternoon checking all the settings and it all looks ok.

It's just turning over as if the coil pack was unplugged.

Gray

Guest Hammy360

MAte,

You say you had it started previously. Since then have you had the TB's and fuel rail off? if so check the plumbing to the fuel pressure regulator. (I have T-shirt for this one lol) :db:

Evening Hammy

I am using the Zetec fuel rail and direct injection with the ford fuel pressure regulator so I dont think theres any probs there. I did take off the return fuel line and it *bleep* out...so recon theres plenty of pressure.

I have got cranking on the ecu, TPS, MAP and MAT all calibrated correctly.

BTW just had a peak at your build pics, you car looks very nice.

Gray

Evening Femster

well....I did put 2 gallon in the other day and its not been out the garage, although it has been running before I "fiddled" with it and it is very very rich so you never know.

I will put some more in tomorrow.

Gray

You say it was running OK before you put the GBS plenum on. What was it running on? Throttle bodies, ford manifold and throttlebody, carbs? Was it running on the megasquirt and injection?

What pressure regulator are you using? You know the disc thing in the centre of a blacktop fuel rail is not a regulator? You have to put a proper regulator on the return to the tank after the rail. Have you tried a pressure gauge to check pressure in the rail?

Nigel

Guest Hammy360

Evening Hammy

I am using the Zetec fuel rail and direct injection with the ford fuel pressure regulator so I dont think theres any probs there. I did take off the return fuel line and it *bleep* out...so recon theres plenty of pressure.

I have got cranking on the ecu, TPS, MAP and MAT all calibrated correctly.

BTW just had a peak at your build pics, you car looks very nice.

Gray

I did the same test but that wont prove you have the two pipes fitted correctly. Its a one way valve and on the reg so this really could be your issue mate and an easy fix.

(Thanks for the comments on the car mate)