Wiring

Guest minibigfinch

:80: Why don't you fix them to the petrol pipe,that way you'll go much quicker when they chafe through. :80:

Please do the job properly; install wires in a flexible conduit of some sort & fix to chassis rail with clips AWAY from brake & petrol lines. :clapping:

Guest chris brown

Not a good idea to cable tie to any pipes conduit (a length of plastic pipe is fine) and P clips are the way to go, also if running them down the inside of the tunnel remember electric wires above brake pipes above petrol pipes.

:80: Why don't you fix them to the petrol pipe,that way you'll go much quicker when they chafe through. :80:

Please do the job properly; install wires in a flexible conduit of some sort & fix to chassis rail with clips AWAY from brake & petrol lines. :clapping:

I do not see how wiring in a rubber condiut as most looms are and tie wrapped to the p-clips would cut through either a decent brake or fuel pipe

Plastic to 'cut' copper or cunifer. One is obviously much harder than the other. Doesn't seem possible but weird things happen with chaffing movement and friction and plastic does wear metal. Only solution is to hold them still so there is no movement. No movement, no wear! Well fitting P clips for all.

Nigel

note, I have not passed IVA yet though. wait for others to come along and see what they say but i thought it was ok as the brake pipes are rigidly mounted

That's what you're aiming for so why take the risk,for the sake of a few extra clips.

Also was thinking of the electrical discharge if wiring insulation was damaged/worn through,may blow the fuse maybe not as the pipes are not in metal clips;so once again why take the risk.

It's not unusual in production cars when they are getting on a bit for wires to have chafed through and earths to have corroded - and that's with millions spent on rigid and anti-vibration mountings. Once this happens electrical current finds any way it can to earth and if that happens to be a metal brake or fuel pipe then so be it. The connections on hydraulic pipes don't tend to be great conductors so things get hot - not a good idea when they are filled with a flammable liquid.

Keep wires away from pipes and as already mentioned above them in the hopes that if something un-related wears through a pipe and creates a leak you don't get flammables dripping on electrical stuff.

Metro's have a habit of brake pipes glowing as you are cranking the engine. Of course by the time they have gone that far the cranking current that the pipe can flow is significantly reduced so they need more cranking. Downright scary when you spot it.

Mini's are better (sort of) - they tend to end up earthing through the choke cable.

Iain

Guest sandy77uk

my fuel lines are p clipped to the side at the bottom of the transmission tunnel, my brake lines, on the side at the top of the tunnel, the wiring loom is inside conduit that runs on the ressed lip inside the passenger cabin (along side the transmission tunnel)