Indicators/hazard Warning Lights.

Guest Brian T

Guest Brian T

Quite a few then , great.

Latest on the indicators/ hazards. Hazards work ,when they want to , indicators still nothing . I think it may be a good idea to remove the stalk in entirety and give it as much of a clean as I can. Judging from the look of the old flasher unit I think there has been some water ingress in the garage it was sat in, if the terminals in the stalk are half as bad that would explain a lot of it. Sometimes when the indicator switch is thrown you can detect a buzz ,can't tell where from though !

A couple of other little niggly bit's, on the sealed beam units , OSF dipped and NSF main are inoperable, swapped them over and the same thing happens, proves the units are good and the relay is switching, main need some wire and cable connectors soon .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brian T

Well, after trying various things to solve the problem with the indicators/hazards, including trying 2 different stalk switches plus various tests on the wiring, we have lift off !

I still can't work out why the problem was presenting the way it did though. I have had at various times, The Hazards working, with no indicators, hazards OK and one side of indicators working, indicator working no hazards and various permutations thereon. Hence the reason for thinking it was the stalk switch as somebody had else experienced also.

I was in the car yesterday doing something unrelated, with the ignition "On" .and touched the fusebox,unmistakeable click of the flasher unit, let go the pressure and it stopped,putting pressure on the case turn it into a momentary switch. Applying pressure for an extended period of 5 minutes seemed to cure all ills , may have been a temporary basis yesterday if it was I shall look into a permanent solution. What I can't understand is why was it having various effects on different circuits? Sometimes dipped left beam /right main were out sometimes the other way round, fog lights/brake lights at times other times not. The only things that appeared permanently OK were the horn, tail light, washers,wipers and ignition system.

I hope it is still working as to get the fuse box out it looks like a replacement is needed, this one is bonded in !

I've got a few little jobs to do before I get the MOT done, discovered the accelerator pump has a leak so ordering a service kit today, steering rack gaitors being collected/fitted, hopefully today. I'm about to fit my seats and harnesses today, a friend has a free 2 post ramp available for the whole day . Apparently the MOT has changed regarding seat fittings and if you have an adjustable slide type frame ,the adjuster must work, I have them fitted but due to the dimensions of the seat it is an "interference fit" and can't move, I asked about this at the MOT station " Hmmmm,not sure." you could see his brain ticking over. "What about if I cut the handle off? it's a none adjustable then."----"Yep, good call that'll do it ." So if you come across that you know what to do.

I think thats the lot then TBH . Take her for an MOT then start the paintwork. Did my airscoop at the weekend , very pleased with the finish.

Pushing something moves it or something on the other side you can't see moves also. I suspect you have a loose contact in the fuse box and pushing the side of the fuse box has temporarily bent it into better contact with what it's supposed to be in contact with. (If that makes sense, like a known unknown, or an unknown unknown) I think you have only a temporary fix and heat, vibration etc will separate the dodgy contact in time. Could be a supply contact related to the affected circuits or an earth. Earth problems tend to be less logical and have unpredictable effects.

You need to find that dodgy contact. My offer of a visit is still there.

Nigel

Guest Brian T

Hi Nigel, I'll definitely take you up on your offer just as soon as I get a garage with 24 hour access 7 days a week. At the moment the car is in a garage /workshop in a locked compound. I can get access most days Mon -Fri, 9-4 ish ,not always guaranteed though, like tomorrow is a no go ,unless I want to be locked in from 8-30 until 4ish ;-(

I know what you mean about the fusebox issue, when I get chance I'll see if I can get the fusebox off but I am pretty sure it is bonded on to its mount. Been looking at VWPs catalogue just in case.

Had a good crack of the whip today and got the seats and harnesses in, looking at the original mountings 2 x 8mm bolts were bolted through the floor, these went through a piece of steel between the 2 sides of the frame. That is the only evidence of fixing, scary. It now has 4x 12mm bolts each side, straight through the floor and frame directly.

My carb service kit is sat at the sorting office for me, I think, so tomorrow is carb strip and rebuild day.

The list of things to do is getting shorter and shorter. I want to get an MOT on the car before I start any cosmetic work, then if I'm working on it I won't worry so much about where I can put my hands.