New Engine/ Gearbox

Guest david56

Guest robinj66

It's abit dificult to tell from those pictures but it looks very much like my Sierra based S7. A CVH engine and gearbox (Type 9) would certainly fit (as would a Pinto etc.) You shouldn't need to do any mods to the transmission tunnel but if you want to alter it in a minor way, you can. Can't see why you would have to alter the CVH sump but it will depend on where your front anti-roll bar fits in relation to the engine.

The 4 speed gearbox (offered by Daz) is shorter than the 5 speed (assuming they are both Type 9's) - your monocoque chassis would originally have had cut-outs for mounting either but they may have gone, depending on what the previous owner did.

Guest Alan_builder

It's abit dificult to tell from those pictures

If I haven't missed any pictures it is impossible.

You shouldn't need to do any mods to the transmission tunnel but if you want to alter it in a minor way, you can.

If your car is a mono-cock you have to be careful with the mods, putting back the strength you cut out!

Can't see why you would have to alter the CVH sump but it will depend on where your front anti-roll bar fits in relation to the engine.

Not all cars have roll bars, some have chassis under the sump, and different engine mounts change the height.

The general rule is you need a shorter sump. Florin has a deeper engine bay I think due to the special windscreen.

The 4 speed gearbox (offered by Daz) is shorter than the 5 speed (assuming they are both Type 9's) -

I am not sure on that point, all the 4 speeds I have seen have been the same length overall. The gearbox 1 to 4 is the same, the tail shaft is shorter on the 5 speed to make room for 5th gear which is after the 4 speed box so to speak in a loose sense.

your monocoque chassis would originally have had cut-outs for mounting either but they may have gone, depending on what the previous owner did.

I am sure on that point, its correct.

quote name='Alan_builder' timestamp='1328442997' post='246622'

The general rule is you need a shorter sump. Florin has a deeper engine bay I think due to the special windscreen.

Deeper engine bay?? maybe, but the engine is on standard mounts & fixed to the unaltered chassis plates; so the standard sump is about 80mm away from gravel rash most of the time. Sump plate fitted for speed bump slides & as said earlier "it would be better if shorter sump fitted"

Guest david56

Thanks,

~Had more of a look and most of the front brake pipes are missing.

Next question at which point do I fit the pressure sensor for the brake lights. I thought to put it on the line that will go from the servo to the front wheels either as part of the tee junction under the radiator any ideas.

is there a place where I may find a chassis number stamped on. or do I have to stamp it on?

Brian, Yes it was though north 50 miles south of Edinburgh.

Guest The Modfather

You'll probably find if it's using the sierra pedal set, then it will have a brake switch at the top of the pedal. I still use my old pedal switch, easier. I renewed all of my front brake lines, only took an afternoon to do, and all bits are still available from the likes of CBS.

I'm told VW Polo rads are good to use. I think it was Steve in Stockport that has just done a VW Polo rad swap???

It has a nice tall first gear for mega pull always, just ask Chris N, lol.

Sure has and a tall second too for a type 3 box compared to my type 9 box. Daz was off like a rocket took me to 3rd gear to keep up :rolleyes:

and my Hoods no slouch when the loud pedel is been pushed :D

The mount on the type 9 5-speed box is about 10 - 20 mm further back than on the type E 4- speed box.

As said there is a cut out on th floor.

post-936-0-82200300-1328464988_thumb.jpg

Guest Alan_builder

but the engine is on standard mounts & fixed to the unaltered chassis plates; so the standard sump is about 80mm away from gravel rash most of the time. Sump plate fitted for speed bump slides & as said earlier "it would be better if shorter sump fitted"

I had a run in with a speed cushion, found out the councils have made a design standard, minimum height 80mm maxinum height 125mm

So that could be some gravel rash.

Guest Alan_builder

Next question at which point do I fit the pressure sensor for the brake lights.

The Sierra uses a mechanical micro switch not a pressure switch, so most cars won't have one.

is there a place where I may find a chassis number stamped on. or do I have to stamp it on?

The IVA Manual says it should be on the nearside chassis rail. It is up to the builder to declare the number and where to place it, next the IVA form asks where you have placed it. So which part of the document did the original builder read first? So it will be for you to look and find, has it been for IVA or SVA?

Guest david56

is the engine canted over

did the thermostat fit

what sort of radiator are you planning to fit.

Are there just two bolts holding the rear top beam to the chassis

what are the pop riveted plates on the front of the upper chassis for?

If i was ever in kent could I come and have a look

Are the engine mounts standard in the original place?

Thanks david

Guest robinj66

Hi David

That is a picture of the car as it came to me - the 1.8 CVH and 5 speed gearbox were only rough fitted. The S7 used "box type" mounts with Sierra (Pinto?) rubbers and can be shown in one of these photos

The engine does seem to be slightly canted over but the mounts were level, ie - the arms (connected to the block) were the normal Ford ones. I didn't spend much time with this engine as I removed it straightaway and installed a V6 instead. It's long since been scrapped as no one wanted it (99p on Ebay).

The radiator i eventuially used was one for a Seat (Ibiza?) [and I ftted that ahead of the suspension, inside the nose cone] but there are plenty of recommendations on here for VW Polo or Golf rads. The Cortina or uprated Coolman rads woulsd also fit into this chassis (and were the original recommendations). You can see it in the second photo...... which also shows an oil cooler from a Rover 200. [ since it's been the subject of current debate, I have also left the viscous fan fitted to the engine to assist , in whatever small way it can, with moving the air in the engine compartment. The rad is cooled ny a small electric puller fan which i scrounged from a scrapyard]

I can't be definite about the thermostat on the CVH engine but I would assume it was there.

The cross member (behind the suspension) is a piece of (6mm?) stainless angle which I bolted to the front of the chassis, twice at each side. There is also reinforcement inside the original chassis sheet metal. It is a replacement for the original folded-sheet cross member which would have been there when the chassis left the factory but which a previous owner had cut out for some reason. You can see that the original cross member was approx twice the width of my replacement (but of undounbtedly thinner material).

"pop riveted plates on the front of the upper chassis " - if you mean the L shaped bits of stainless, these were a previous owner's idea for mounting the nose cone/ bonnet (I think). I removed them.

You are quite welcome to come and have a look. I am just near Fokestone. [ If you PM me an address i will try to copy all my build photos onto disc and send them to you but don't be put off by having a look in person]

HTH

Robin

post-1574-0-69723300-1328882144_thumb.jpg

post-1574-0-55119100-1328882674_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david56

Thanks for your advice. I have always wanted to build with a twin cam so I have bought a sierra 2.0 twin cam engine and gearbox.

I am collecting it tomorrow afternoon it is complete so the guy tells me!

I am getting the ecu engine wiring loom the first section of the exhaust is there anything else i need?