Iva

Guest TruroJohn

Guest TruroJohn

IVA was a nightmare. DVLA first told me in writing that it did not need an IVA, but after following their procedure for 2 months, they told me it did! Then 200 mile round trip on back of trailer (they told me incorrectly that it had to be towed)to Exeter.

Failed on 4 silly points and 2 major ones (noisy exhaust and speedo stopped working during test due to loose sensor).

Silly points were:-

wrong BSI mark on Robin Hood supplied windscreen.

Wrong radius edging strip on one of the edges(but same strip Ok on all the others).

Wrong foglight symbol on switch (this was the one supplied by DAX).

Insufficient padding for passenger on bottom of battery box.

Retest, I drove it there this time (200 miles again)failed again, newly made exhaust still too noisy.

retest with another exhaust, just passed!

Thinking it was all over I took paperwork to local DVLA office who refused to issue V5 until they had also inspected the car 2 weeks later.

So registration took me 3 months, all those journeys and cost more then the car did to build!

I sent a letter to DVLA to request a chassis number they called stated the Zero is a kit car conversion and will have a Q plate although I am using a single donor and have the V5. Good news I have the chassis number but will wait for debate after IVA.

Another example of government agencies not working together and costing the tax payer more money.

Welcome John from another Plymothian with connections to Helston.

I suppose anyone who has already built, SVA'd and registered a kit car knows DVLA is staffed by people whose education peaked at nursery level and are under-qualified for the post of village idiot.

They attend training courses with titles like; (1)Wasting the customers time. An art form? (2)Is being helpful ever justified. (3)Knowing the job. Is it really necessary? (4)Fun with being irritating. (6)Reducing customers to rage or tears . You choose.

By reading the forum before you went to IVA you might have got a flavour of this which would have prepared you for some of the frustrations. The information on driving to IVA is here. Advice on meeting noise requirements and preparing for IVA also. DVLA always 'inspect' the car before registration and you can't legally drive to this inspection.

The forum is here to help with all aspects of the build, IVA, running the car and modifications to make it handle or perform better.

Nigel