Pennine Way Road Trip 2012

steve in stockport

Still in the very early stages of planning, over the weekend of 8th and 9th September 2012.

Leaving Edale early on Saturday 8th and heading north following as closely as possible the route of the Pennine Way to Kielder, approx 200 miles.

Saturday night stopover at Kielder youth hostel, which is licensed, does meals and also has a pub nearby

Sunday is last 70 miles to Kirk Yetholm then back home via the Lakes and some of the passes up there, or which ever route is best to get you home, or quick blast to the Scottish border then turn and head for home - that can be decided on the day depending on how people feel.

You might need to make arrangements to camp or hostel nr Edale on the Friday night ready for the early start, and anybody who wants to meet up and do parts of the route will be more than welcome.

I still need to sort out rough times for stops etc, but will post them once I have it all worked out.

Here's a pic of the routs showing some of the places we'll be passing through or nearby

post-949-0-62827700-1328453298_thumb.jpg

Guest Alan_builder

Steve

That could be interesting, just a couple of questions!

I am not sure about the location where the map depicts, as there are towns that I recognize.

What's an early start to a fireman? As I will be retired, (always a bit thick), 10:00 is first thing unless it is cold and then it's later.

Will it be suitable for the Box on wheels?

Alan

Alan,

map showing the general location, the bold black box on the inset is where you'll have to show your passport to gain access past the N/S divide :rofl:

Not sure if the route is suitable for trailers, we will be looking to do 200 miles on the Saturday without hitting too many main roads. Youth hostels are cheap enough and mean you don't need to lug loads of gear round the country - but if you're feeling brave, who knows?

As for the early start, I'm working nights on the Friday, hopefully someone will come in early for me and we can be in Edale by 9am ready for getting away at 9.30am.

Scots Lads, it would be good to meet up with you guys, maybe you could do it the other way round, come down to Edale and use the run up north as your journey home, or meet us part way up on the Saturday

post-949-0-50100500-1328537654_thumb.jpg

Guest Kennedy48

I might meet you guys. I'm in Newcastle and my mums hose is 2 miles away from byrness. So I might meet you somewhere follow you up. Il see if any of the others in Newcastle/Northumberland are interested. They will probably see post

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Steve,

Patricia and I are interested, could say put us down. Beckinham Palace to Berwick, now I know where we are going! Thanks.

Had a look at accommodation near Edale, what accommodation? What I found was expensive to extortionate any suggestions?

If we are not lugging the box on the trip then there seem little point lugging the box to Edale for the start and leaving it there.

Unfortunately it's prime tourist country round Edale and a general license to print money, but there are some reasonably priced places out there.

Have a look at this one £45 for a studio apartment for the night, as opposed to paying £18.50 each to sleep in a youth hostel dorm and share toilet and shower facilities. It's about 7 miles from Edale.

Or try looking at Peak District Online for more choices.

• 6 months later...

OK I'm not going to make it to this one either. Hairdressers car has some "issues" that started with it being un-reliable and then a couple of small holes showed up at MOT time which on prodding have turned into ruddy great big holes that had been covered by a sea of filler by a previous owner (I suspect not the one who sold it to me but one of the ones before that). Sorting the running problems took me a while in the diagnosis so it's not going to be back on the road in time.

Iain

Sorry folks this trip isn't going to happen, I just haven't had the time up until now and don't have time between now and the proposed date to sort anything out.

Added to that the 2B is coming off the road and being SORNed for the first time in 7 years after it's MOT on Thursday.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.