Wiring Solutions Required

Disco

I am progressing slowly with my project wide body zetec and the wiring is slowly being done. I have a few questions from different places in the wiring loom . Can anybody shed any light on the following.

1/ Iam using an old spec GBSC wiring loom with 3 wires going to the alternator 2 brown and one other. Can i just use spade connectors or can i source the proper socket for the alternator ?

2/ Do i have to source the wiring from the coil pack/crank sensor/ecu or does this wiring come with an ecu if for example i purchase an Emerald system?

3/ What is the best route to take the wiring from the front wing repeater as it needs to be attatched to the suspension and pass through the cars sides to the wiring loom?

Hope you can find time to assist

Regards

Chris D

As to questions 1 and 2 - no idea.

3) I drilled out a little hole in the cycle bracket and passed the repeater wire through that. It's not easy but it gives the wire some protection from flying stones under the wing and then tie wrapped along the upper wishbone and looped under the mounting point allowing enough so that there aren't any tight spots when turning etc.

You can just about see it here:

http://www.sj-bradley.talktalk.net/Kit-Car-Progress/October/images/077.jpg

Hope that helps.

Simon.

Guest scrabster

hi chris, my car has been on the road for 3 yrs with spade connectors and no problems so far,if the loom is the same as mine there was no wire for the exciter for the altenator(small denso type).added a fused wire supply in flexy conduit.cant comment on other two as mines a pinto and sva not iva.

regards,jess.

Hi

1/ I assume you are using the small alternator on the Zetec the uses a bolt connection for the feed to the battery (both brown wires), and the plug you refer to is for the two spade connectors. you can use spades they work fine, but as Jess has mentioned you do not have an ignition feed at that point in the loom. You will find a white wire coming out of the loom on the left side of the engine (all white wires on that loom are ignition live) you can extend or re-route that to the alternator to go on the terminal closest to the bolt connector, the other is connected to the yellow blue wire (dash warning light),

2/ the Emerald ECU comes with the connectors and terminals for some items, but you will have to make your ignition/injection loom up from scratch, general instructions are included, but you will need to source relays (and holders) for injector/ignition circuit, fuel pump and fan, (the fuel pump feed to the rear of the car is on ignition only, you could use it for the low pressure system but I would advise the high pressure is controlled by ECU). the sub loom then only requires a main feed, an ignition feed and an earth from, and a few signal wires to, the main loom.

3/ would go with simon B

Regards

Polevolt motorsport electrics are useful for connectors. They certainly do junior timer plugs so injectors and crank sensor sorted and coil pack connector http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_4564.html so that's another. Their site is worth a browse as they are pretty comprehensive. Relays no problem but all sorts of interesting stuff. If you are using a lucas alternator then the plug is on this page as well as a possible 2 terminal T shape which may do some nippon-denso types.http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Misc_Connectors.html

Nigel