Help Needed For A Zero Build.

Guest tobomoto

Guest tobomoto

hey all ive decided to get a zero kit in the near future and was wondering what parts i will need to get that arent included in the kit? i want it to be a new registration so i know ill have to get mostly new parts.

also would i be able to put a new zetec/duratec engine in it, get it iva'd and registered then change the engine and gearbox for somthing else at a later date? im particularly interested in a nissan sr20det engine and box. cheers peeps.

In short - a lot.

Of course it all depends on the kit you start from. I started with the starter kit which basically gives you the tub with wishbones.

You then need to add:

• Suspension
  • Diff
  • Drive shafts
  • brakes
  • prop
  • gearbox
  • engine
  • electrics
  • wiring looms
  • seats
  • steering
  • cooling
  • fuel systems
  • EMU
  • exhaust

and I'm sure there's stuff I've missed.

If you go down the donor route most of this will come from the donor. If you want a new reg then all this will be 'new'.

The Zero is built for the Ford engine /gearbox, I've got a Zetec with a Type 9 box. The standard inlet has to come off , as does the exhaust, unless you want to start hacking.

If you want to got to a Nissan engine why not ask GBS if they can do the necessary mods on the chassis to accommodate them from the start

I have done something very similar and the car has just passed the IVA on 31st Jan.

You can see my build diary at

http://www.sj-bradley.talktalk.net/

The basic kit that GBS do is around half the cost after you add all the other 'New' bits to it.

I am still waiting for the DVLA to get back to me about the registration and I'm hoping that it will get the desired new

registration. (It may not be the desirable 12 plate though - could be a 61 plate instead.)

Simon.

Guest tobomoto

cheers guys, i think ill have to call them sometime this week and see what they say. the prica wont be much of an issue as once i have made it i plan on keeping it for a good few years yet, which is the main reason why i want new parts. the only problem i can see will be the engine/gearbox as they will be secondhand. would this stop me from getting a new registration?

Hi tobomoto

"second hand" parts can be used and still get a new plate, with a little cleaning and fettling they can be considered "reconditioned"

GBS sell a very reasonably priced, brand new Zetec engine, and a donor kit of "reconditioned" hubs, drive shafts diff and gearbox, so even searching ebay or scrap yards is a thing of the past.

as you say, talk to them.

Regards

Just coming to the end of building my Zero Widebody (seemingly now known as GT!). I went for the total package supplied from GBS including new Zetec engine and new and reconditioned parts as appropriate.

The overall cost might seem high at first but its surprising how the odds and ends add up during a build. I went for the AT throttle bodies for the engine but suspect that the GBS plenum gives pretty good power and is a lot cheaper. The cost of Raceline sumps and water rail are also not insignificant. I also chose to have the rear body work and scuttle pre-contructed and the brake pipes and wiring loom pre-fitted (a bit expensive but saves some fiddly jobs!).

The only adverse experience I had was the actual handover of the kit was a bit frantic as hardly anything was ready when I arrived and even by the time I left, there was quite a list of things to 'be sent on'. Get used to the fact that you will have a steady stream of parts coming to you! - though in fairness, I think things are getting much better.

As I come to the end of the build, I intend to take the car back to GBS for IVAing and registration as they seem to have no problem with getting New Plates (again, more expensive that doing it all yourself but also less hassle - I hope!).

Have to say that the whole build has been a lot of fun and learning (invaluable to find someone in your locality to ask questions of or use the Forum as there is no build manual!).

Final point is why change the Zetec engine, go and get a test ride and you'll probably think the Zetec puts out enough power for the car.

Good luck.

Mike

Guest tobomoto

i sent an email to vosa the other day and they replied with this:-

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 20th February 2012 concerning

registering a vehicle.

Unfortunately VOSA do not handle enquiries of this type.

You will need to address your enquiry to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing

Agency (DVLA).

Follow link for email details: www.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla

Telephone: 0300 790 6801 for drivers queries.

0300 790 6802 for vehicle queries.

If in the future you have a query that we can assist with, please do not

hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards

Mark J Evans

Customer Service Centre

VOSA Operations Directorate

Tel: 0300 123 9000

i guess ill send it to the right people now...

You need both of them.

VOSA for the IVA test which currently is £450 and a £90 re-test fee which I fortunately avoided to get the IVA certificate.

Then DVLA another £55 plus tax to get the registration.

I have managed to get through the first part and I'm still waiting for DVLA.

So that's £505 just for red-tape bureaucracy ! :crazy:

Simon.