It's Gone - The Contentious Topic

steve in stockport

Phil hid it and I have deleted it.

If you think something posted on here is a little contentious the easiest way to bury it is to not respond to it, every response just gives it more life and keeps it at the top of the pile.

Ignore it and it will soon drop off the bottom of the page into obscurity where it belongs.

The original poster deleted his first post so topic no longer made sense and by him deleting it I take it he wanted the whole thing gone. No I did not message him as he also admitted he had only come on to do what he did and would now be gone

Forum control is a tricky one and sys admins and the monitoring and restrictions vary a lot.

Recently I was wishing to communicate with a long lost friend and joined a forum of his old school to see if he was there.

I got an almost immediate e-mail from their sys admin asking who I was and what I was doing on the forum and was I an ex-pupil.

Prove yourself or you are outlawed within a few days!

I didn't object, said why I was there, and he even contacted my old friend and we are re-united.

I don't know if that particular sys admin is paid to do that, but he certainly runs a tight ship.

Should we be doing the same?

Who would challenge new posters?

Should RHOCaR and Community members give a little more detail on who they are, where they are and what their Kit Car credentials are, before being allowed to post?

Whether any of the above would have altered what happened in this recent skirmish, I am not sure.

I dont know stewart may be it still would but I see 4 options

1 full rhocar members only

2 only rhocar members can start posts others can reply

3 30 days before comunity members can start a post

4 stay as we are

may be we need to have a vote

I'd say stay as we are as with all the other options we'd loose new members. Just keep the moderation team to remove the contentious topics. There are more than enough mods on the forum to police it.

but do we need members like lee who just want to post as he did for the moderators to have to let it run for fear of abuse for pulling it and after we have did we do it in a pc way

And in real world terms, Lee's is 1 topic in 1000? maybe more? It doesnt happen often, and it was handled well in my opinion.

I still personally think, when a topic is seen as bad a mod should hide it, then for it to be deleted there should 2 uninvolved moderators who should decide if it should be deleted. Then when it is deleted a message, typed by the deleting mod, should automatically be sent to the original poster and the responders stating why. This could be an automatic process on the forum, but would probably involve work by Matt to implement.

Just my 2p and I'll leave it at that.

or just shut the forum to members only like others and cut all this agro out. I have found 2 side screens for a westfield at the side of the road and went to post on their forum and can not, got to pay members fee of £40 to join before i can post. £15 sounds a bargain to me and would save having to deleate posts of i have a seat how much is it worth i want to get rid ( you mean for sale seat offers please) posts

Thats a tad extreme, but if thats they way you want to take the forum then I imagine there will be a large decline in numbers.

No its not but when you sit this side of the fence it can get frustrating the club needs people to step forward and do things. we currently have a chairman who is also having to take on the job of members sec and treasure as well as his main job and do we see any one who is willing to take on any of the jobs NO!!!!

What this club needs NOW is members who can step up and do some of these jobs Steve has done 5 years and has also taken on extra club posts if you want the club to continue it needs some of you to step forward and offer to take on some of these jobs so with the agm in may lets get some names for committee posts?????

No its not but when you sit this side of the fence it can get frustrating the club needs people to step forward and do things. we currently have a chairman who is also having to take on the job of members sec and treasure as well as his main job and do we see any one who is willing to take on any of the jobs NO!!!!

What this club needs NOW is members who can step up and do some of these jobs Steve has done 5 years and has also taken on extra club posts if you want the club to continue it needs some of you to step forward and offer to take on some of these jobs so with the agm in may lets get some names for committee posts?????

I think a post needs writing regarding club posititions that require volunteers Phil, these issues always end up posted at the end of a long winded post. I for one would step forward to help in any way i can (not treasurey tho, our lass dosent let me loose with my own bank card!)

Guest Tim Norman

Been there done that! It does take a special type of person to step forward and take on the Chairmans role. I made a point of telling all prospective candidates the worst parts of the job so it wasn't a shock to the system, and it scared all but Steve off! Hopefully there is another Steve out there somewhere.

Guest The Modfather

Did someone say POLICE? Lol, always late at turning up (said it before anyone else does), dang I missed this too.

I would be happy to help in anyway also, although due to shifts I cannot guarantee being on here every day, if that makes any difference?

Daz