Pinto To Zetec. Should I?

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

Iv been thinkig for months now what to do with my car (2b). Passed IVA in August and had loads of fun in it til it got too cold and wet. But I was never happy about the engine. To slow. No fun. I put my foot down. Loads of noise but small standard cars kept up with me. I was thinking

A. Keep same engine (1.8 pinto) and change carb, etc

B.chsnge to 2l pinto and mess with that.

C.not do anything

D. Get a 2l zetec.

Iv changed my mind many times. I get an idea in my head and either cost or time/experience worries me.

But now. I think iv made my min up. Zetec. But as iv only got a few month before car is back on the road I was thinking of starting to buy te zetec and parts over the year and fit it next winter.

I know this has been mentioned many times but how much money am I looking at for this conversion. and is buying over the year a good idea. (so I'm not taking a huge chunck out my bank and spread in over the year)

What kind of difficulties will I face throughout the swap. And will I (not very experienced but willing to learn) be able to do this job.

Ps. Where is the best place to pick up a zetec. An expensive one from gbs or from scrappy

Thanks

Luke

Main difference is exhaust on the other side compared with a Pinto.

In essence bhp from a Pinto 110bhp

Zetec 130 bhp

Pinto to 130+ bhp not to difficult or expensive, to 150 bhp more so Zetec cheaper.

Any mods over standard will require cams and carbs/ injection. pinto needs porting

Guest The Modfather

There are loads of pinto to zetec threads on here, including mine. IMO well worth the work, can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. There's tons of zetecs out there, bolts straight onto a type 9, lighter in weight, links nicer, but big thing for you maybe no room for direct servo, could use a remote servo like fiestas have etc, or just fit a KA master cylinder with no servo like I and many others have, still gives very good braking. Again IMO better brakes as they don't lock up as easy as servo assisted sierra ones did.

I done my install for around £500 everything included, but you may need to shop and wait for bits to come up. I'm glad I done it, and I fitted a 1.8 zetec and it is still miles faster than the 2.0 pinto I had. Just put 2.0 cams in the 1.8 and there's not a lot of difference.

Daz

Guest marsbar

Hi Kennedy , I have some of the bits needed to fit a silver top Zetec, starter motor, flywheel , low sump, which I will not be using.

I also have a 2 litre low mileage blacktop with a low line sump, a GBS inlet manifold for bike carbs , and a set of R1 bike carbs, which I bought for another project but may not fit now.

Fit a megajolt and you will get 175bhp with the blacktop, which will be quick.

Are you going to Church Mouse if so I can fill you on what you need to consider.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Kennedy,

£ per BHP the Zetec should be cheaper and provide a more tractable car. I am an injection man, so for me it would have to be injection, the fuel consumption is normally much better than carbs. your 2L Black Top will yield 175 and just a bit more using 4 throttle bodies and a decent exhaust.

problems, Thermostst housing and water rail, sump, pedal box. Depending on which 2B chassis you have, chassis mods.

It will take you 4 months to do the transplant once the bits are to hand, longer if you need

I am decluttering my wiring loom on my change project.

four months! Give over!

It took me seven weeks to swap from pinto to vauxhall, then we did another in four and a half days from starting to pull the pinto out, to the vauxhall being in and running for the first time

Guest Kennedy48

Hi Kennedy , I have some of the bits needed to fit a silver top Zetec, starter motor, flywheel , low sump, which I will not be using.

I also have a 2 litre low mileage blacktop with a low line sump, a GBS inlet manifold for bike carbs , and a set of R1 bike carbs, which I bought for another project but may not fit now.

Fit a megajolt and you will get 175bhp with the blacktop, which will be quick.

Are you going to Church Mouse if so I can fill you on what you need to consider.

Il be at the church mouse next week so il see you then and decuss it then.

Cheers

Luke