Breakdown Cover

Guest oddsocks

Guest oddsocks

On the weekend im hoping to pick up my zero from gbs after it passed its iva. But its long way to drive as a shake down!!! so i want to get breakdown cover but who covers kit cars? Whats the going rate for decent cover with recovery?

jamie

AA for me covers all my cars and anyone else's that I am in.

Not cheap but I don't worry

In reality it's a tow you home service if you own a kit car as most things you can fix yourself

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest Brian T

Got my Insurance through Adrian Flux last week, quoted £115 for the fully comp ins, for an extra £50 I got legal cover, BREAKDOWN cover , key cover and excess Insurance (I make a claim they pay the excess) and serious injury cover ( I/passenger get injured they cough up) may be worth giving them a ring.

another vote for autoaid .....

never used it yet but me and missus covered for both our cars for about £40 pay then reclaim

martin lewis says so must be good lol

regards stuart

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi Jamie, I have Mayday cover part of Greenflag. Covers my jeep and caravan for £38 , put my 2b on the policy for an extra£14. Enjoy the drive back. Cheers Neil.

Jamie, not really related but I saw your car when I took mine in for IVA. It looked fab. I will be in the same boat as you when mine is sorted, I will have a 135 mile run home. Should be fun as it will the first drive in the car and first time driving one at all!!! No pressure then! Back on topic, I have RAC recovery which is personal cover so I should be OK should the worst happen. Good luck for the weekend and enjoy the ride!!

Another plus for Autoaid.

It's already been said that what you probably want for kit or classic cars is a get it home service if it can't be repaired easily at the site of the breakdown.

Unless things have changed with AA or RAC then they make no guarantee to take it home - if they can't fix it then they might well just dump it at a nearby garage that says they can fix it. At that point you are over a barrel with the garage as they can charge almost anything they like - your alternative is to pay someone to recover it elsewhere.

I also have an issue with both RAC and AA's renewal scam (sorry policy) whereby they send a renewal price that's actually just what they think they can get away with but if you tell them you're not interested they can suddenly do it cheaper. They also insist on actually taking payment by direct debit (even if you are paying in one lump) so that they can take that extortionate renewal price without you necessarily knowing about it. It really upsets them when you cancel the direct debit a week after the year's payment has gone out - they keep phoning you throughout the year trying to get you to set it back up and get quite snotty when you tell them up front that you have no intention of setting it back up.

Oh yes - one more thing. Flux :80:

Iain

Guest oddsocks

Jamie, not really related but I saw your car when I took mine in for IVA. It looked fab. I will be in the same boat as you when mine is sorted, I will have a 135 mile run home. Should be fun as it will the first drive in the car and first time driving one at all!!! No pressure then! Back on topic, I have RAC recovery which is personal cover so I should be OK should the worst happen. Good luck for the weekend and enjoy the ride!!

Cheers dave, i like the look of yours too-your blog is really good. When you having your iva?

To other posts-tahnks for your replys but do you have to phone them up to tell them its a kit car to much sure they could put it on a low loader if the worst happened?

Jamie

Done the go compare and theres all different prices but when you go on their site its not get your car home or where ever you what it to go.

Cheers dave, i like the look of yours too-your blog is really good. When you having your iva?

It is 3rd in a queue and when I spoke to GBS on Monday, they don't think they will get to mine until next week. They are really busy up there at the moment, which is a good sign for them and the industry. I will have to be patient a little longer :)

Guest oddsocks

Im still looking for breakdown cover as i didnt pick car up-next weekend now. But i've been looking at getting cover using my tesco vouchers with the rac and looking at the info they will only tow you 10 miles or to the nearest garage no matter what cover you got they all say the same. so check your polices boys!

Has any1 had to use them and had probs with getting towed home from any distance?

Jamie

I deal with all the recovery services every day, of the 3 big ones (AA, RAC, G/flag) for the basic cover that you can get (ie around £30'ish) they will tow you a maximum of 10 miles. The next step up for recovery with them you'll get towed/recovered to one destination. The next step up, is personal cover, for this you get full recovery for ANY car that you're driving or passenger in. The prices go up with each step obviously.

Other things you do need to know, the AA will not attend if you've had an accident (unless your cover is part of the insurance recovery package) The RAC & G/Flag will, but will send you a bill a few days later (which you obviously pass on to your insurance)

The AA will not attend if you break down in a live lane on the motorway, or within roadworks (ie you get you car behind the cones)

The AA will not cover any vehicle over 15 years old (so watch those age related plates, check!)

The AA (& sometimes the RAC) will not attend / or they will charge you, if you have a puncture and don't have a usable spare (providing you car should carry one as normal. ie a gas converted car, where the gas tank now uses the spare wheel place, so no longer carries a spare, is bad news)

If you're going abroad with your car, none of them will cover a car over 15 years old, and will charge you an additional hefty fee on top of your normal recovery.

Long distance recovery with all except the AA is a single journey, the AA used to do "relay" (not sure if they still do) Say you'd broken down in Cornwall, then your vehicle would be picked up and taken to Bristol and dropped there, it would then join another car on a double transporter and be taken to Birmingham and dropped off there, it will then join another car that's coming North, and will be taken to Bamber-bridge (I know this!) dropped off there for the "local" operator to take it to your house. This is how it used to happen, unless the AA sent a contractor garage, then you'd be recovered all the way home.

You may have guessed that I'm not a fan of the "4th emergency service" (what a laugh!!) but there are worse!! (*bleep*-fit to name one!)

For the record, I was with the RAC for 27 years until I wanted to take the Landrover to France (1992 vintage) that's when I found out about the 15yr old clause with everyone.

I now have recovery with the Landrover insurance (similar to kit-car insurance, limited mileage etc) through Premium Choice, for an extra £50 on the policy, I have full breakdown / recovery cover, on any car / motorcycle that I'm driving or passenger in. (so that covers me for all my vehicles) plus European cover for free also (just need to tell them when I'm going across the wet bit)