Iva Fail

Guest coops222

Guest coops222

hi guys

Took the car for iva today.. i knew it would fail as the hazard switch decided to stop working on saturday and didnt have chance to repair, so had to put through regardless.

so this morning pushed the car out of the garage and the brakes started squeaking and was difficult to push (although i had done it many times before) typical!! so i started the car up and drove it onto the trailer smashing the fiberglass edge on passenger side rear arch..... not a good start!! also i got to the test station and realised i had the wifes car keys in my pocket... not popular... had a frantic wife on the phone "how am i gonna get the kids to school!!"

anyway this is what it failed on.

1. hazards-- prviously mentioned
  2. emmisions-- hopefully just valve seals, we will see....
  3. back off-side brake binding--- already done..
  4. no valve on petrol tank---- on order...
  5. petrol pipe cracked/perished--- easy fix
  6. chassis numbers too small---- redo with bigger stamps
  7. brake pipe fouling on steering column-- p clip needed
  8. sharp edge on tunnel interior-- carpet will cover
  9. steering wheel loose-- ??
  10. battery insecure-- (apparently you cant use the strap type)-- use a metal one.
  11. couldnt do speedo test because of binding brakes...

so thats it... no issues with trailer on the way home..

treated myself to a shiny new tool box to cheer myself up... and the wifes just cooked me a lamb dinner, so could have been worse....

Guest sandy77uk

with regards to the battery, mine went through with a strap, however I did use a piece of ally in the battery try butted up against the side so the battery can't move about even with the strap off

Guest joshrob

Hi a flat piece of metal with the edges bent up bolted to the to the exsisting location will do the job for the battery. where did you get the engine mapped as myn failed iva on emisions and that was a new set up.

all in all it sounds like the car did well at the iva. good luck with the retest!

Very well done, if the indicators work ok it may be just the hazard switch that needs cleaning. Mine almost failed the MOT one year as they didn't work, one of the fitters squirted some cleaner in it pumped the switch and all was well. I now have to remember to check them before I go.

the engine is a pinto but i dont know if its unleaded.. would this make it smoke?

No but is it bad? what carb do you have and is it set up?

Guest Noddy006

Hi Coops. I wouldn't think the type of head should affect smoke levels. I had problem of smoke and found it was just the valve seals. As I had not checked the top of the engine before, I took the head off and did a D coke and put new seals and gaskets in. Cured. I think I remember someone on here saying the valve seals can be done with the head on but have never tried it so perhaps someone can advise you more. Best of luck with the retest. Ian H

steering wheel loose-- ??

Sometimes difficult to get it tight because the column is 'too short' and the sixsided bit at the top won't pull out because the whole shaft is tensioned and won't 'give' when you try to tighten the big nut in the centre of the wheel. Loosen the nut(s) on the clamp that joins the triangular section just in front of the firewall to the shaft that goes to the rack. Then tighten the big nut in the centre of the steering heel. That should work if the steering wheel is loose on the column. Don't forget to tighten the triangular clamp nut(s) again. Probably worth checking the end of the shaft on the rack pinion is still properly in place.

Nigel

Guest coops222

its a pinto with twin webers i think.... dont know the history of the engine as it was half built...

i dont think ive tightened steering wheel enough will have to check..

will try cleaning hazard switch after all it is about 18 yr old..

thanks everyone for your help and ill post what happens with my retest.