Handbrake On Top Of Tunnel

Guest Greygo

Morning All,

I've decided to put the handbrake on top of the prop shaft tunnel, similar to the Joey Brown website.

The handbrake will sit between the two seats and will need to be raised about an inch for clearance.

If you have done this to your Hood, what did you use to raise the handbrake? Where did you buy from? Was it self made???

All threads of wisdom greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Greygo

From bits lying about in the garage, I used a piece of 1 1/2 " square section across the tubes at the front, and made up a 5mm ] shaped bracket for the rear on the drivers side tube. Rear was bolted at the top and bottom to ensure clearance for the brake rod.

Hope this makes sense !!

Spread the two top chassis tubes apart(with thin cold chisels)to form a 1/2" gap between welds,& the Sierra handbrake;once taken apart could be re-assembled to be half above/half below tubes. Small brackets to fix leaves the handbrake arm 20mm clear of tunnel top ( added an extension so Mo could operate h/brake with seat forward)

Mine's very similar to Angus, long bolts through chassis tubes, with bits of tube as spacers. Ends of the spacers are shaped to fit the chassis and I've got a shorter spacer at the front so that the front of the handle is close to the tunnel when off (just enough room under it to get your fingers in). It's also as far forward as I could get it without it getting in the way of the gear lever, so I don't need a double jointed elbow to operate it.

Hope this makes sense !! Steve

Guest woolly

on my 3a i wondered why i could not get the efficiency i thought i should after checking all the usual things i was going to change the cable, then noticed that the cable going to the leaver was not horizontal with the floor mounting. and came up at a angle, this meant that the HB lever where the cable attached was not at the designed leverage angle to the cable run (pull).

resulting in a loss of efficiency, slackening the cable off so the leaver had more travel so moving the leverage point further around the arc cured the problem at the expense of travel.

now if you understood those ramblings good else disregard it all. :sorry: a picture would be so much better

I did something similar as sadjagboy. I used some 8mm threaded rod which I sleaved with steel tube. I mounted the Siera handbrake through the tubes of the tunnel. However, I tilted the handbrake forward by making the threaded rod and sleave longer at the back. This then kept the handbrake low and out of the way when disengaged. Also be carefull how far back you mount it. My first attempt was to far back and as the wife wants to drive the car (I know... I know..) when the seat is moved forward you would have to dislocate your arm to pull the handbrake on/off

Nige

Guest Greygo

Some very good ideas there, I can stop scratching my head now & get down to the auto supplies shop asap!!!

Will post how it all went in the end, Thanks for taking the time to respond!!

Many Thanks,

Greygo