Can Valve Seals Be Changed Without Removing Head?

Guest coops222

Guest outtolunch

I've heard of it being done where you fill the bore with string through the sparkplug hole move the piston up to compress the string against the valves, then you can remove the springs and seals but you need a valve spring compressor which bolts onto the head.

Guest mower man

Yes it can be done,idealy you need a v/sping comp that hooks under the cam but I have done it with 2 peices of 3/8 bar bent to shape HTH mowerman

I'd also go with Jez's comment.

After having a few issues last year managed to get head off in less than 20 mins...much easier than messing around with bits of string, and you get to see the real issue's IMHO :acute:

A cylinder head removal is quick and easy.....granted.....but when your MLS head gasket has cost over £100 and took 7 weeks to be delivered (from cometic USA via burton power due to 94.5mm bore and custom thickness), i think the above advice using string etc is extremely useful........and I for one will be remembering it!

Guest coops222

Thanks for the info

think im gonna go for the head off option, also im on the lookout for a unleaded head. and also gives me a chance of a decoak etc...

just a note to be careful with the exhaust bolts if you haven't had it off in a while. Broke a stud on mine, tried to drill and went wrong and had to get it heli-coiled.

if you aren't driving the car for a bit i'd keep applying wd40 over a couple of days to be on the safe side.

hth

Guest sadjagboy

Just did mine a few weekends ago, for the same reason, smoking engine wasn't going to pass an emisions test! Head off Sat morning valves reground, football Sat pm and head back on Sun morning, with proper clearnces all set. Standard aftermarket head set and stretch bolts total came to about £35, heard that aftermarket vale oil stem seals will maybe only last 5000 miles, but I'll take that chance at the moment.