Advance Notice Of Intention To Stand Down

steve in stockport

I’m not planning on going yet, but....

As I said in my article in the winter magazine, if I am re-elected to the position of Chairman at the AGM in May it will be my fifth and final year at the helm.

I have been asked to put something together to give an idea of any roles that are, or will be available either at this or the next AGM.

At the moment I am Chairman, Membership Secretary and Treasurer, Phil Shelton is Events Secretary, Adrian Parkinson is Clothing Secretary and Magazine Editor. We also have Stephen Altwasser, Ian Johnson and Chris Brown who all previously held positions on the committee and who remain as committee members as they are all signatories on the bank account, Peter Knight the Club Secretary and finally John Walton who organises our annual track day/s for the members.

I am happy to do one more year, but if someone wants to take on some or all the positions I hold from May I won’t be offended. Either way, people need to start thinking about whether they want to show some commitment to the club and take over the day to day running of things.

From my point of view the Membership Secretary and Treasurer roles go hand in hand, the vast majority of money that comes into the club each year is from memberships, so it would seem logical that the same person does both roles. Memberships can take up to 20 hours a week in January, processing, printing, posting and updating records, dropping to 15 hours in February and 10 hours in March. Treasury work is paying invoices to suppliers, banking monies, keeping records, providing funds to Area Secs and generally managing the bank and paypal accounts.

The Chairman would have overall control and need to available for consultation by other committee members. Although you won’t have too much to do on a daily basis you are pretty much expected to be able to attend the major shows where the membership can get to see you and speak to you. When you’re at a show you can expect to spend the majority of your time in or near the gazebo on the club stand, talking to new and existing members and answering enquiries about the club. You will be first point of contact for a lot of people and amongst other things you’ll be taking phone calls, receiving and answering emails and letters and writing articles for the magazine, which you’ll proof read before it goes to the printers, plus vehicle valuations for members and helping with insurance claims. You will also need to be thick skinned, there is always going to be somebody who will be aggrieved about something, and it’s always going to be your fault. Plus you will also need an understanding partner to support you.

I think it’s also right that we look at getting some new names on the bank account. Ideally these will be people who hold an active role on the committee and are involved in the running of the club.

Finally, if you are interested in any of the above roles you really need to be able to commit for at least two years, preferably longer, otherwise you’ll just be getting into the swing of things and it will be all change again, needing new people, new signatures on the bank account etc.

So, if you’re up for a challenge, get in touch and I’ll give you an honest run down of what’s required.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank Steve for all his efforts with what I can imagine to be a fairly thankless task. So well done fella - And Laura of course because behind every great man and all that :drinks:

as a complete twat and being on the wrong side of the rhocar elite

i also want to applaud steve's leadership . done a great job ,not always seen eye to eye but he has always been fair .

he supported the south with the bear thing for air ambulance when the northern peeps were not interested

if you don t think of it it seems you dont want to support it .

me gone

a community user

graham.

Guest jetskijase

Great work steve,laura and a big thanks to all the work you've done, and still doing for the club!

you will be leaving big shoes to fill!

jase :acute: :acute:

ps....you around for an engine refit later this month!!!??? :air_kiss: :give_rose: :give_rose:

Steve,

I would like to become more involved with RHOCaR committee and progressing onto a more challenging role in time. I am currently Treasurer for the Midlands Institute of Road Transport Engineers and active member Chartered Quality Institute. Unfortunately I have limited time until I complete my MSc then back to the build 2 years and counting, so start small and grow as more time becomes available.

Having worked with Steve first as Treasurer then as Mag editor.

The roll of Membership sec and Treasurer need to be linked the way the database is set up.

We have been in charge for the last 4 years and feel that it is time for a change.

The club needs some New Blood.

As an out going committee member we can offer all the support needed to carry on to new members as and when needed.

Thanks Steve for all the support you have given me, and the great job you have done as Chairman with Laura in support.

Stephen Altwasser

Guest Getting There

Steve Many Thanks for all of your helpover the last few years! I have plenty of time spare on evenings and weekend and if you decide you dont want to do the membership side of things I am more than happy to help and do that. I can make sure I am free for shows etc and it would fill the TV time in evenings very well! I even have a supporting partner that only requires walkies!! Once again thanks for all your help. Chris