Etb Speedo In ;-)

Guest Brian T

Guest Brian T

Well, true to their word ETB had the gauge in the post Thursday and it arrived yesterday morning, had a few other bits and pieces to do so only had chance to ease the original hole to take the new speedo and went for the wiring today.

Easy enough to do, fitted the magnets on the output of the gearbox by the UJ. Found out that the local builders merchant do a nice fixing bracket in stainless with a hole the perfect size for the Hall effect sensor and the metal is thin enough to bend quite easily and thick enough not to vibrate around, grand total of 50p ! Couldn't believe my luck when I did a loose fit to check the distance between the magnet and sensor and the LED tell tail came on, moved the prop through 180 deg and the LED lit again, lock up the nuts and that was it.

What I did notice was when I first initialised it the speedo needle when up to about 60-70mph and then dropped down again to 0. Anybody else noticed theirs doing that? Is it some sort of self test ? Obviosly the Odometer is 0.0 but there is a small "h" symbol to the left any ideas, no mention of it in the Instructions. I read through the calibration notes and pressed the button to get "Auto calc "- "Pulse" etc to display, no luck, Oh B***er! , broke it ! Nope reread the notes "Press the button THEN turn on the ignition" all good. There also appears to be a light on all the time, is that normal, the lights are wired correctly and change when the headlights come on just a little unsure as to why there is a light all the time?

I ran the engine and then made sure all the warning lights etc were working, the gauges, lights, windscreen wipers the whole lot, no fuses popped nothing amiss so all looks good. Got a bit concerned when the wife said "Whats that smell?" and went towards the engine, "What's that?" she pointed to the front of the engine , phew, nowhere need where I'd been, a little spray of water was coming off the fan belt, turns out the top hose is slightly bigger than the connection to water pump and the jubilee doesn't seal it properly.

Decided to change my fuse box as well, the niggling problems with the electrics are still intermitent and always seems to go back to the fusebox, had it apart, cleaned the contacts/terminals checked continuity all seem ok. Weird. Unfortunately off out tomorrow but will get back to it Monday ;-)

Guest robinj66

The ETB speedo in my Cobra did that for a while (up to 60-70 ish then down to zero). I changed the mounting bracket for the sensor and that seemed to cure it.

Guest Brian T

Cheers Robin, as long as it does it on other peoples as well ;-) Did you mount yours on the gearbox or diff end ? What was and is your bracket made from? Mine is stainless .............thought just came to me, there may be a small amount of static build up while it's off and that is transmitted to the sensor when the circuit is completed ? Some electrickery anyway.

Guest robinj66

Forgot to mention that i used ETB's daisy wheel which fits between the diff and the propshaft.

The bracket was fitted to the diff. Don't think mine was stainless but (from memory) it was approx 4mm plate. I went through several different designs (and if I'm honest, my first attempt was an absolute pig's ear) .

On the S7 I have another electric speedo (not ETB) and i used magnets. By then I was trying out welding so i butchered and old ford bracket - see pics - and connected it to the diff (with magnets on the driveshafts)

post-1574-0-08158300-1331966801_thumb.jpg

post-1574-0-18463800-1331966834_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brian T

Hi Richard , all in and paintwork finished, MOT tomorrow (fingers crossed) , I'll take some photos tomorrow. It came out better than I expected to be quite honest. Fitted a CD /Radio in the original aperture, got a window antenna which works brilliantly I am very pleased to say as I was expecting it to be rubbish, I know I know, who needs music etc etc; but I'll have to pull over between 10-25 and 10-40 every weekday I'm out in it, need my daily fix of "Popmaster" on Radio 2 LOL. I'll post the pics asap.

Hey Brian, glad to hear it's all gone well and looking forward to the pics!

I had a cd/radio in mine once upon a time, the problems other than the obvious (not being able to hear it very well) was that the CD player would jump a lot due to the bumpy ride (hard suspension). Saying that tho........I did enjoy listening to the radio when parked up at shows etc.....(warm summer days, sat on the grass leaning against the rear wheel, shandy in hand.......)

Good luck with the MOT!

• 1 month later...
Guest robinj66

(Assuming it's not cable-driven) I think you'll find the problem is the movement of the diff etc relative to the sender (if it's fixed to the chassis) under acceleration. The gap becomes too large and the speedo doesn't read the signal until the gap closes again. It could also be a wobbly bracket.

I had this problem with my speedo sender, i put it down to the diff flex/movement as this caused the Prop magnets being hit, a good solution is to get hold of the gearbox sender adapter from Burton Power, (not cheap though) but should sort out this problem. I got one a while back but as yet not got around to fitting it,

It may well be a tight fit on some cars with a narrow tunnel.

P.S If car driven like a grandad you should not have this problem, I'm a grandad and drive mine as if i am being chassed by the Grim Reeper!

What sensor type are you using and what are you using as your trigger? On mine I had used 2 magnets, as supplied by ETB, for the pick up sensor, but it turns out that ETB had sent me a Hall Effect sensor, and they don't like magnets. They will work, but they prefer the bolt head method. The effect I was seeing was that the speedo worked OK up to an indicated 70mph, but if I went above that, the speedo shot up to 130mph, which I clearly wasn't doing.

Anyway, the fix was to remove the 2 magnets and then move the sensor to act against the 4 bolt heads holding the prop shaft to the diff, thus creating the required pulses. I had to re-program the speedo but haven't been able to check yet due to the abundance of brilliant weather we have been having recently!!