Torque Settings

Guest minibigfinch

Guest minibigfinch

evening all

i didnt get time to day to ring gbs so hopefully some one on here can help..

1. although all the suspension arms use lock nuts, i assume they still need to be torqued up?

2. to what setting?

3. also what torque setting are the hub nuts done up to?

thanks in advance for any help

regards

David

Torque settings? Did you read the build manual? :)

You can get these from the haynes manual, but FT (Fully Tight) or various WKT settings should do - that's 3 or 4 White Knuckle Tight :)

As for Hub nuts - Definitely VERY FT around 200 ft lbs Nm, I think or a six foot gorilla on a breaker bar for THAT one. You are unlikely to shear those nuts off !

The nylock nuts will prevent them from coming off. And as I was told by someone who should remain nameless, If Rolls-Royce didn't have torque settings, just good engineers, that's fine with me :)

Best to check these figures out and not rely on mine as they are unlikely to be the right figures.

Simon.

Guest minibigfinch

build manual...i wish..

i work in the motor trade an have seen things fall off that shouldnt..so have got rather paranoid!!

i did think it might be a case of just do it up as tight as you can, but thought id see what other people have done etc!!

as for the hub nut, this will be getting torqued..the thought of that coming lose...??!!!

thanks for the reply and well done on the iva pass!!

regards

David

I think you should be able to find a table of maximum torque settings for 8.8 bolts and nuts for example and

use that as a guide as to how much a bolt will be able to take before you shear it off.

I found one on google here which is quite useful:

http://www.leytonfasteners.co.uk/pdfs/TorqueValueGuide.pdf

I just googled for "maximum torque on bolts" and that was the first hit.

E.g M8 bolt rated 8.8 can only take 25.5 Nm.

Hope that helps

Simon.

Guest merc190provan

The wishbones do have lock nuts, what i did was to do up as tightly as possible but monitoring the wishbone free play allowing it to just about drop with it`s own ( i also used some washers where needed to take out the slop )weight, as for the rear hub nuts, FT as said before, they are handed so should not come undone.

Marty Smith

If you use washers to take up the space, make sure the are big enough to cover the face of the bushes. Without a manual to guide me :spiteful: I fitted the wrong size and although this is OK for IVA they will want changing so I am going to have to rebuild my suspension as some point!

I tend to look for equivalent torques in Haynes manuals for unknown bolts, ie wishbone M10 bolt, TCA inner bolt same size and a suspension part so torque should be okay for wishbone bolt. As a rule of thumb I usually use M6 12Nm, M8 25Nm, M10 40Nm, M12 60Nm.

Jez

Guest Hammy360

I also found a lis of torque settings in an online version of a Westfield build manual. I figured they would be pretty close.

Same as Dave says, it lists all settings for both the car and the Zetec

i work in the motor trade an have seen things fall off that shouldnt..so have got rather paranoid!!

Most of the people I know "in the trade" use the rut-tut scale i.e. how many times to let the impact gun go "rut-tut-tut-tut". :shok:

Gorillas on 6-foot bars...... It's a common joke in the Mini world that MOWOG ,which is cast into the front hubs, is actually the name of the semi-tame gorilla they kept at Longridge to tighten up the front hub nuts. I'm the only person in the two clubs I'm a member of with a torque wrench that goes high enough - it's a damn great big Britool thing usually seen in HGV workshops. Getting the things undone after they've been on a few years is just scary at times. The parts people aren't helping by sometimes supplying metric nuts with the imperial thread so my 3/4" drive inch and five sixteenths socket isn't always as good a fit as I'd like.

Iain

Anything with a torque value in the Haynes manual is copied for the kit.

For suspention bolts such as wishbone mountings, to tight will seize the moving part, the locknut holds the nut on so torque setting is not relevant

I'm with merc190 and snapper for wishbone bushes. Tight enough to the point of just allowing/resisting the wishbone dropping under its own weight. Washers in to take up any play/gaps. I then drilled the nylocks and the shaft and put a split pin through. All washer/spacers, shafts,etc, well greased.

Nigel