Is Old New Oil Good To Use

Guest shaggy

Guest shaggy

As title says, I found an old tin of Duckhams in the garage, full of dust, and thought it was a tin of old engine oil. Turns out its new stuff, but quite old. I found the price ticket which said £5.99, so I know its quite old, and just wondered if its got a sell by date, like bread from the supermarkets, some of which has a 25 day shelf life, and eat by 30 days etc.

Opinions please....

Si

Guest outtolunch

I would not think it could go off as there are no volatile components in oil unlike old petrol which does not like starting the mower after its winter rest and its the heat and mechanical shear in the engine which breaks it down.

But it might not be as good as more modern oils which now inculde synthetics whatever they may be but I know a lot of modern engines especially highly tuned bike engines must have these oils to avoid damage but in an engine of the same age as the oil and not tuned I would think it would be ok.

ps.disclaimer : I only have ONC chemistry (failed) so may be talking rubbish but I do know how to make car polish.

pps. http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Guest robinj66

As peter said - check it first.

You will probably find that it has an "additive package" that is more suited to older engines than more modern oil (esp zinc which helps lubrication of bearings).