Wiper Spindles

Al Milton

Well, after the windscreen shenanigans over the week end, i've just twigged the wiper spindle boxes are the wrong way round :fool: :fool: :fool:

They face the screen, meaning that the rubber wiper blades will be facing the front of the car :sorry: :sorry:

Ah well, scuttle off and turn the pesky rascally things around

Ho hum...

Sometimes with a wide short screen like the hood it's best to have one wiper going in each direction. They park along the bottom of the screen pointing towards each other and when working head in oposite directions to end up vertical and parallel with the outside edges of the screen. That leaves an un-wiped wedge in the middle of the screen - most of which is behind the rear-view mirror and the rest of which only lets you see your own bonnet so it doesn't matter.

Iain

It takes a bit of work and a welder but i changed the sweep on the passenger side of mine. Just messed with the fulcrum point of the arm and put the ball joint in a different position. now the passenger side sweeps through a much bigger arc cleaning more of the screen.

Well, wiper spindles are now pointing the right direction, so at least I can get the wiper arms fitted now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Trouble is, the sweep is dire. Looks like there will be a large unswept area on the driver's side. (Currently parking to the nearside)

Iain, how do you get the sweep method you suggest?

Are you using the Mini set-up Alan? If so it's possible to get wiper boxes with a smaller diameter cog, the rack then turns the arm through a greater sweep. On Florin (which has a modified Midget screen) we used CBS arms rebent to give swept area from scuttle rubber to pillar rubber on driver's side & scuttle to overlap on passenger side (blades park to left) The boxes give 110 degree sweep I think.