Locking Wheel Nuts

kevin the chicken

Hi,

I realise that this subject has already been covered but I am hoping that someone has had a new idea. My car has sticking brakes and to sort this out for the MOT I need to remove the wheels. Guess what? Yes thats right, no locking wheel nut key. These nuts have an indentation in the middle into which a strange shape key fits, sort of like a three leaved clover. The holes are shaped so that there is no edge into which you could whack a chisel in the right direction to turn the nuts and there is so little room between the nut and the alloy that I doubt that a removal socket would fit, certainly the ones that I looked at in Halfords have walls that are too thick to fit.

I thought I would contact the maker to see if they could supply a new key, nope no longer trading. I have a week off work in which I thought I could ready the car for the MOT but now I am going to be cursing these blasted nuts! My last hope is to see if the local scrappy has any old keys unless somebody out there has any ideas.

Regards

Kevin

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

Get an old socket and knock it over the locking nut so its a tight fit, undo as normal, throw nuts in bin and purchase 4 new

Paul

if you go to a garage they have these socket things that have cutting edges inside and literally just twist and cut into the locking nut to get grip and remove. Again you will need new nuts. Because of the slim holes in my new alloys i had to buy 'tuner' nuts which have a star key fitting. Seems like a good idea as it would be annoying to remove all of them forcefully for the common thief. I hope.

hth

Hi,

Thanks for all your input but my neighbour came to my rescue yet again. He arrived this morning with a selection of punches and chisels and after a couple of taps had a better idea. He cut a couple of pieces out of an old cold chisel so that it was a snug fit in the head of the nut, put an 18" adjustable on it and turned them out. They all came out first go without even any damage to the nuts although they will be going in the bin anyway.

Kevin