Coil Connectors

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Captain Daz

Gentlemen,

I have just bought a new coil for my 2.0l pinto but the +ve and -ve pins are the same size. The connectors in the original loom are different sizes. Does anyone know where I can buy connectors or is it a visit to the breakers? Has anyone else had the problem?

Cheers

Daren

Sounds to me like you've got the wrong coil. Mine are different size on a 1989 2.0 EFi, and my old 1.8 CVH had different size terminals too, and a coil I got from a carbed 2.0 at the scrappy had different sized terminals too ... and one from halfords which I burnt out a few weeks back ... and the one from my local motor factors which I then replaced it with.

Ant

Guest Captain Daz

Ant

What's weird is that Halfords only do one replacement for the sierra 2.0L. Doesn't matter what year and both the terminals are the same size. The coil looks the same shape, size, bracket but there's no info on it's rating etc.

I guess my best bet is to go to a motor factors instead and take the old one with me.

Cheers

Daren

They only need one type because the spark requirements of 6000RPM 4 cylinder engines are just about the same no matter what engine.

The major change was from points to stabilised electronic ignition, this required a change of coil. All 2l sierras were electronic ignition, the later ones were also fuel injected and engine managed but this did not change the spark requirements.

Newer engins have gone to electronic switched multi coil packs as with ever cheeper electronics this now cheeper than a singal coil and mechanical distribution.

So the only difference between coils for electronic ignition distributor is in the conectors which can be bodged.

Then there is the problem that as new cars have coil packs fitted the presure on spare part makers drops (ford would soon switch from a supplyer that had lots of breakdowns) and so quality tends to drop.

Ian

Guest Captain Daz

Cheers Guys

I guess that means the coil I have is correct, I just need to bodge (sort) the connectors. I could do it Longboarders way or source a replacement connector that's the right size.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Daren.

Guest paul mercer

You could use ring terminals, and nuts. Although the proper connections push on, it is a thread they are pushing onto.

Paul