Removing Fuel Tank 2B+

Guest Lee reed

Guest Lee reed

Hi All

i have had no end of probs with my kit since i brought it and now the latest is the cause of it not running well is lots of silicone mastic loose in the tank getting sucked into the fuel line, as i do not have a build manual is it possible to remove the tank without taking the whole back of the car apart, also do the factory supply a manual on disc?

cheers all Lee

depends on the size of the tank, 30 litres or less and you might get it out, the RH 40 litre tank needs the rear end taking apart.

There never has been a build manual for the 2B, only some very dodgy videos which a few people have copied onto DVD

Guest Lee reed

Oh Dear!! it is the optional larger tank that was offered from the factory. I can only assume the mastic was used to seal around the sender etc and to much has been used and fallen in. have not taken much notice of the way the back end is held together so could i dismantle the boot above and get to the top of the tank? my thinking is if i remove the fuel line and fill the tank with fluid from the top it will hopefully flush out whats in there through the hole for the removed fuel pipe.

I am open to any ideas on solving this problam or being told what i am thinking will be a waist of time?

Guest Alan_builder

Of course who followed the build manual any way?

I would suggest by fuel tank in time most builders had drifted into their own way to build. I think Simon has the build (manual) video on DVD it will be called ZUSE after the dog which features, and as the dog can't spell, they are USE**Z, well its apt and is nearer the mark.

Guest chris brown

If you remove the sender you should be able to get your hand inside the tank and with a hose and lots of time you should be able to get all the mastic out. When it comes to resealing it DON'T use any liquid sealer just make up cork or rubber gaskets also make sure the inside is fully dry before refilling with petrol.

BTW removing the tank is a very big job starting with removing the rear wings and the whole of the back panel

Guest Lee reed

Many thanks, I assume it is not as big a deal to remove the boot above the tank? thanks for the advise all I will be doing this on saturday instead of going to Detling (maybe next year).

Guest chris brown

Many thanks, I assume it is not as big a deal to remove the boot above the tank? thanks for the advise all I will be doing this on saturday instead of going to Detling (maybe next year).

No two 2B's are the same and as there was no boot in the kit or offered as an extra each builder did his own thing so I'm afraid you will have to work out yourself how it is made