Helmet Or No Helmet?

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

in anticipation of collecting my car Fully IVA'd and registered from GBSC in a week or two im starting to get my mind set on actaully driving the thing, as silly as it sounds, after 3 years of building and repeatedly redoing things on the car it never actually occured to me that the day would come when i could drive the car.

Now mostly down to me being lazy i opted out of fitting a windscreen Prior to IVA, and i have no plans of fitting one to the car while its on the road this summer, i may fit an aeroscreen as it looks like GBSC sell one on kit spares now.

my question is do i buy a helmet to wear when driving the car? i believe breathing might be diffcult at high speeds! im also thinking of the drive to work, along a fast country road with lots of loose stones, getting hit in the face by a stone/wasp/flies has got to be pretty painful/dangerous and pretty disgusting!

i think i might have answered my own question! also does any one know of a decent car cover that fits the zero and is relatively waterproof? theres loads of "lotus 7" ones on ebay but im not entirely sure they will fit!

let me know your thoughts and opinions/any suggestions for a cheap helmet/ car cover!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recomended to wear a helmet unless it's a slow run to the shops when glasses are needed.

I started with no screen and used a helmet 99% of the time, then fitted the screen and only used a helmet for track days, then fitted the side screens and roof, now have a choice of how much exposure to the elements I want

Guest sadjagboy

Aldi have helmets just now if you need to get one, only £30 and look ok, probably would want a better quality one for a bike, but should be okay for protection against small flying objects in a car.

Go carefully

Angus

Guest MarkB

I have a windscreen but I still wear a helmet, keeps your head warm, its bluetoothed up so I have my music, phone etc and it stops the exhaust hurting my ears... Plus I can't hear the rattles and squeaks.... Or the wife... bonus!!!

I have an aeroscreen and I only use safety glasses........in fact, the only time I wear a helmet is on track days, and thats because I have to rather than want to!!!

I have been hit on the forehead / face with stones etc.....however I still much prefer driving without a helmet, but I would never go out without safety glasses tho!

I wear some of those yellow winchester shooting glasses from a recent trip to the states. They are UV protected but you can see

clearly at night too....

Well... Thats for the 1st hour of driving, after that the wind starts to drive me nuts so I always carry a lid as well.

Also got one of these minus the mask.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIG-29-FIGHTER-Pilot-Helmet-Flight-Helmet-Oxygen-Mask-YM9915G-Occipital-Blad-/260998086455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc4b2bf37#ht_604wt_1037

Which must have been bargain of the century looking at the price of that one. Mine was £20 2 years ago. I got it because it has a twin

visor, one tinted and one clear on the inside for night driving... Still get a cold mush though if its a bit nippy out but otherwise great.

Guest T6 KFR

I have a motorbike and when i have my lid open you are hit with stones and flies not to mention your eyes water.

In the car i have worn a hat and glasses, but overall id say buy a lid and be safe . Roads can throw anything up that may hurt you. Also keeps you warm!

Guest MarkB

I wear some of those yellow winchester shooting glasses from a recent trip to the states. They are UV protected but you can see

clearly at night too....

Well... Thats for the 1st hour of driving, after that the wind starts to drive me nuts so I always carry a lid as well.

Also got one of these minus the mask.

http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_604wt_1037

Which must have been bargain of the century looking at the price of that one. Mine was £20 2 years ago. I got it because it has a twin

visor, one tinted and one clear on the inside for night driving... Still get a cold mush though if its a bit nippy out but otherwise great.

Me likes that helmet!