Supercharged Pinto

steve_wilson

didnt managed to get it started, had a few issues with fuel blowing out of the disconnected boost pipe and covering the car! :help:

i think ive made a fairly simple mistake, but will investigate today.

yeah, i've got a dump valve fitted.

heat i thought was going to be an issue. the current rad is just a single core so will need upgrading at some point i'm sure.

something i'm planning on doing is flaring the sidepanels. i'm going to chop the side panel where the engine bay finishes and then remake and refit them so the stick out a couple of inches at the back end. should let a lot of heat out.

sliding pillars will be chopped off at some point (i've said that for years now)

cheers, steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats not a bad price, will see how i get on with the flared sidepanels and i'll give them a call if its needed

yeah, i saw it on a dax rush with a v8 fitted years ago. looked really good on that.

just need to get hold of some stainless and get it bent up

managed to get it running today, doesnt run very well. got an air leak between inlet manifold and head so i suspect thats the reason for its poor running

got a little vid

th_IMGP0022.jpg

seems to just rev itself, might be due to the air leak, not entirely sure

Guest old_timbo

Put an 82 deg thermostat in mine today as I started getting over-heating at full chat and was using a standard 88 deg one. Found the original was goosed (stuck partially open), so hopefully that was actually the problem and I've now got a bit more cooling in hand.

What bypass valve are you using? I've thought of using the turbo piston type, but I think one from a BMW Mini might be better as it is a butterfly valve and supposed to respond faster.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using a twin piston forge blow off valve at the minute. still not running right so things might change yet!

bought myself a set of cossie rods and pistons for this, just need to get hold of a standard bore, good condition 205 block now! should be pretty bullet proof with all that lot in.

one thing that has been on my mind is the robin hood supplied propshaft... i've seen pictures on here of them tied in knots by cars in a relativly low state of tune... whats peoples on opinions on here?

did we ever get to the bottom of why they were failing?

for £120 for a new one i feel it may be a worthwhile purchase, but if theres nothing wrong with mine then i could spend that money on other things!

Guest mcramsay

i would rather waste £120 on a new prop than have one let go on me when booting the car. theres not much between your legs and the prop. i would not be a fan of seeing an angry prop shaft letting go right beside me!

Guest carl leonard

You will always get problems when a prop is seam welded.

As stated previously, don't skimp on a good prop, buy one from Bailey Morris especially the sort of power you are trying to push through.

carl

hmmmm

interesting replies. i think i'll get one made up when ive got everything sorted on it, just need to find some time to finish the thing!

anyone got a standard bore 205 block by the way? obviously the bores need to be score free and without too much wear. cossie pistons are to suit the standard bore of 90.8mm and my pinto has had a +0.5mm rebore so they're no good in that block.

cheers, steve

We (the collective friends we) had a prop twist then snap it looked like it was made out of exhaust tube, very thin, that was on a standard 205 block, injection head, lightning rod cam and twin 45 Dellortos.

My prop in the S3 is a Dunnings & Fairbanks also good quality.

• 3 weeks later...

where im up to at the moment

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

it runs quite well on the drive. needs a couple more tweaks and alterations but it seems alright!

gunna put some tax on and take it for a spin today if the weather holds!

fingers crossed i'll be at newark in it, not sure if i trust it 100% yet though. need to put some miles on it first

• 2 weeks later...

well i realised i'd left a breathr uncovered, so all the boost was lowing out of that, hence it gave the impression it was running well.

now ive bunged it up it's started making a very unhealthy noise, sounds like metal to metal, will get a video up tomorrow.

might just be belt slip, but it does sound metallic

With you saying that the noise started when you sealed boost pressure got me thinking......are you sure the engine's not pinking? (that can sound like a metal noise) Did you lower the compression ration from 10.8.1 because that is high for a standard NA engine, so a supercharged engine will need much lower ratio.

Just a thought