Supercharged Pinto

steve_wilson

Your already running 10.8 to 1 surelly that's to much compression (with cast pistons) to add forced induction to?

Your already running 190psi without boost

Add boost then compression and your in detention territory for sure.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha!

yeah, still at 10.8:1 CR. does need lowering but im pretty sure this noise isnt pinking.

never got chance for any garage time today. i'll get a video tomorrow

im currently trying to build myself a spare pinto with cossie internals with a CR of about 8.5:1, so until i drop that lump in. i'll just stick a thicker head gasket on this one which should lower it to around 9.7:1, which should be safe enough.

cheers, steve

Guest webby

hi

interesting project

ive been doing a cossie coversion for about 2 years and too much money lol im no expert but done loads of research a spoke to a lot of people who know what theyre talking about

if you running any boost even only 1/2 bar (7lbs) you need to drop youre compression ration max 8 to 1

or itll run like crap and probably crack the block youll need decent head bolts and a much softer cam

are you running injection as youll have loads of probs with carbs as youll pressureize the carb back up the jet

sorry if it sounds like im a pessimist im not its a great project and itll be worth the effort but ive learnt the hard and expensive and aim just trying to pass on a bit of info ive picked up so press on and enjoy itll be worth it it just wait to get mine finished

nick

im gathering parts at the moment to build a new engine for it, cossie rods and pistons and aout 8.5:1 CR

cam will be a standard 2.0 one or a caravan cam depending on whats available on ebay at the time.

while my current set-up, with high CR and not an ideal cam isnt great for forced induction, i'm just trying to get it to a point where it's working, then i'll swop the engines.

forced induction through carbs is more difficult that going injection, but as i'd already spent a fair it on the n/a carb set-up i didnt want to have to fork out for all the injection gubbins i'd need, so i've adapted it

there are 3 successful builds that i know of (sierras and capris) with very similar set-ups (bike carbs on a pinto) which work well, so i have faith :crazy:

Guest webby

hi

you may need to pressurise the float bowl on the carbs from the boost of your supercharger to equaliise the pressures but you may still get issues with the vacumn diaphrams on the slides its a pity yuou not using webbers far superior carbs and would be much easier to sort for the super charger. injection isnt a black art and not too expensive you can do it very successfully with gsxr 1000 throttle bodies and a mega jolt

cheers nick

float bowls are pressurised

injection can indeed be done reasonably cheaply, even by using the standard sierra manifold.

but after spending several hundered on the bogg bros manifold and carbs etc, it would seem pointless replacing them with something else after only 300 miles use.

how come webers are better carbs for forced induction?

like i said, its been done before and got good results, injection would be the ideal but i could end up (and almost am) in the position where for the money ive spent messing with my pinto i might as well have bought a zetec/duratec/rv8 etc

cheers

Guest webby

hi

webbers are better full stop on a pinto the bike carbs are reliant on vacunm to operate the slide to open the main jet they are designed to operate at much higher rpm so the pulse speeds are totally wrong to operate the diapragm correctly. also you have the slide and a butterfly and a needle interfereing with the air flow webbers only have the butterly and no vac operated slide. for any old gits like myself when contemplateing bike carbs think strombergs!!!! what a pile of junk they were.bike carbs operate on the same principle be it a little more refined and when building any performance bike engine the cv carbs were always removed and fitted with slide carbs ( the slides operated directly by the cable) but each to there own. sell the carb manifold and carb set up buy a megajolt about £350 if i remember correctly get an old 45s manifold a set of suzuki gsxr 1000 k4 throttle bodies about £50 cut and shut the manifold to suit as centres of bodies slightly different 4 bits of silicon hose 8 clips you can use your exsisting plenum etc and youve got more horses and far better running and unleash the true potentional of your project. by the time youve sold your carb set up it probably wouldnt cost you a lot

either way youve got a great project and its great to find another nutter that wants to try something different so keep up the good work

nick

Guest chrispine

interesting thread, been collecting bits to change my engine for a while, gsxr 1000 tb's, 2.3 Scorpio engine, RS cams and flywheel etc, would recommend reading "Forced induction performance tuning" by A Graham Bell, especially the cam selection, looking out for an Eaton M62 blower with electromagnetic clutch as you can switch it off if not needed, ie cruising on motorways.