Brake Upgrade

Guest NantLladron

Guest NantLladron

After reading lots of mails on brakes and thinking of the future ( new engine) i am thinking of the following upgrade from my standard cortina Mk5 brakes .....any probs ?

1. Front disc upgrade to wilwood 4 pot calipers
  2. disconnect servo ( seems to lock fronts very easy and no feel )
  3. add a bias valve so i can adjust the balance
  4. Rear disc conversion to sierra discs

....i know that there is a lot of posts saying the rear dums should be fine but i have 17" alloys on and seeing a drum on the back just doesnt look right ,

Rear discs are a bit pointless as you've probably read from other threads, and I do tend to agree with this in theory...but having 17" alloys as well, I do agree with you that drums look a bit rubbish!!

From what you have described.....points 1 and 2 will make the biggest improvements, point 4 is purely asthetic reasons and point 3 is only required to balance points 1-2 & 4 together.

Also, just make sure you get the right pads on the front as this can make all the difference!

Guest NantLladron

thanks Richard agree 100% with your points , do you know if i just disconnect the vacume pipe from the servo and blank off the manifold outlet will the servo restrict anything ? or its fine to just leave there as it is ?

To be honest I'm not sure. My servo is connected as I don't have any problems with lock-ups etc....

I can't see why it would restrict anything though and I think you should be fine to leave it where it is......however someone who has done modification this is better placed to answer this than me :sorry:

You can block of the vacuum pipe at the manifold but it won't change the front rear bias just make your effort less.

I would recomend a bias pedal box as you are upgrading the fronts a lot probably making the front rear difference even with rear discs similar to cortina fronts and rear drums

Guest robinj66

TBH I don't think you'll gain very much by changing the Cortina calipers to Wilwoods (except unsprung weight).

I did something similar on my Cobra (only it was Proncess 4 pot calipers not Wilwoods). It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference (except they do look better).

Do you actually need better brakes?

Just disconnecting the vacuum will stop the servo working, but the feel at the pedal is wierd. To go servoless properly, you need to remove servo and fit a new pushrod (tiger racing is commonest). Sounds like if you can lock up easily now, you prob don't need better brakes, just more feel, which going servoless gives you. Cheapest of the options too. HTH, Bri