Transporter Trailer Build

richardm6994

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a alko caravan chassis off ebay for £100 and plan to convert it into a car transported trailer.

with a bit of luck, all the box section will be "borrowed" from work and a couple of weekends with th angle grinder and welder should see it on the road!

Anyone else done this?

Do you want me to come over and have a look see Rich? I built a twin axle 3000kg Gross car trailer a few years back.

Positioning of the car on it is the most important part mate, especially if its a single axle unit.

It would be great if you came round, the more advise the better!. My father picked up the chassis today and will be bringing it round to mine on Sunday morning so you're more than welcome to come round any time Sunday if you're free.....kettle will be on!

pm me

I built a trailer for my 2B from a single axle caravan chassis - it's hardly any wider than the 2B (which is what I wanted), but means you have to go up & over the wheels. It took a bit of thinking about & you do have to get the 2B in just the right place, but it only weighs about 200kg and tows very well. It's standing on it's side, leaning against the garage wall at the moment, but I think I've got some photos somewhere - if you're interested let me know & I'll try to find 'em.

Steve

Guest peter2b2002

I use to have a ifor williams 14ft trailer with car ramps that I put in my garage so It wouldn'nt get nicked , to get my 2B onto it I had to lift the front up to max cos my 2b would ground out when going up the ramps due to the angle of the ramps and floor, so beware if the trailer floor is to high or if the ramps are too short you won't get your car onto it

peter2B

good point re the ramp length, I'll keep a look out for this.

I have 22 lengths of 12ft box section (60x60x3) FOC therefore I'm hoping I can get the trailer and ramps built from these.

With a bit of luck, I'm hoping to have this on the road for no more than the £100 chassis price and plenty of elbow grease.

Still looking for the pictures of mine - how hard can it be to find an SD card ???

I'll keep searching, they're here somewhere !! If all else fails I'll drop it back on to it's wheels & take some more, but I won't be able to do that until next weekend at the earliest.

I used 40x40x6 angle to make the extra bits on mine - that box section you've got should be more than up to the job.

If you need any dimensions off mine just yell, measuring it is no problem.

Steve

Evening all,

Tonight I start my transporter trailer build diary.

Not much really to see as most of the night has been spent unbolting the towing frame, cutting box section etc...

Below is a picture of what I'm starting with. The next time I get to spend any time on it will be on Monday night, and I should have more to photo!!!

DSC_0164.jpg

Apologies for my less than quick response but it's been one of those weeks followed by one of those weekends.

I didn't get chance to drop my trailer onto it's wheels for photos, but I've managed to find some frames from a video at Barkston Heath last year. Sorry but the picture qualty isn't brilliant, but then neither is the trailer !!

They might give you an idea of what mine's like - you can see how the car goes over the trailer wheels, and how the belly of the car drops between then tracks when it's fully on.

A couple of things you might find useful -

1) the ramps on mine are 6ft long.

2) check the rating of your tyres - they need to be able to carry the weight of car & trailer plus a bit for safety. Normal car tyres won't carry anywhere near enough.

Hope this help !!

Good luck, Steve

post-3463-0-13430900-1335821821_thumb.jpeg

post-3463-0-97279200-1335821839_thumb.jpeg

post-3463-0-85156300-1335821868_thumb.jpg

post-3463-0-57230000-1335821891_thumb.jpeg

post-3463-0-49379400-1335821916_thumb.jpeg

post-3463-0-77615000-1335821932_thumb.jpeg

Would it not have been easier to have a flat ramp,it just means hiring the front and having some good stops in place as the car would be on an incline.