Transporter Trailer Build

richardm6994

If you do it let me know what's it like. I missed the cut off by 4 months so only have a 400kg halfords trailer at the mo......a challenge to build a strong enough trailer and light enough car!?

If u past your driving test after 1st jan 97 (iirc) you lost trailers over 500kg mgpw, minibuses and 7.5t. I work in logistics and it is becoming a problem now as we are having to train drivers in these categories.

Ed

If u past your driving test after 1st jan 97 (iirc) you lost trailers over 500kg mgpw, minibuses and 7.5t. I work in logistics and it is becoming a problem now as we are having to train drivers in these categories.

Ed

OH... i see now....

That makes me ok then, i passed my test 1989. :crazy:

as i understand it;

if you passed you test before 1st jan 1997, you can drive a vehicle & trailer combined weight of 8.25 tonnes.

if you passed your test from the 1st jan 1997 onwards, then your limited to 3.5 tonnes combined vehicle & trailer weight or a max trailer weight of 750kg (which ever is less).

got the ramps finished off tonight so I thought i'd have a trial fit for size.

It all seems strong enough, but I think I'm going to add an addition cross-member between the centre and rear to give the back end a little more strength as there is not much chassis left at the rear!

the main jobs left to do;

1) trim the planks at the front (they over-shoot by about 6 inch more than they are needed) and weld on the fixing points for the wheel straps.

2) electrics and number plate mount

3) mount the winch

4) paint it!

DSC_0213.jpg

• Like 1

Guest MarkB

really!?! flipping heck!

I'll have to see if I can find somewhere near buy to get a copy!

whats the headline..."how to fit a sail to the back of a exmo"

I can imagine the headline "forget cup holders, meet an exmo with a picnic bench"