Transporter Trailer Build

richardm6994

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update showing where I'm up to on the trailer build. I've strengthen the chassis and mounted the winch since the last photos.

Jobs still to do;

make a latching mechanism to secure the ramps on the trailer bed

fix the spare wheel to the bed. A big thanks to Steve who has donated the spare wheel.

mud flaps and something to go over the top of the wheel which is removable for ease of loading the car on

electrics

paint

DSC_0216.jpgDSC_0217.jpgDSC_0218.jpg

The trailer got used today for the 1st time......somewhat ahead of the build program completion.....not for it's intended purpose.....and it wasn't even me using it!!!

Anyway, my work had a load of timber which we needed to get rid of asap, and nick (aka Shaft) had a need for some 2x4 rough cut wood and as such a plan developed!!

With the use of a trailer board and some bodged-up mud guards (my proper mud guards only arrived this afternoon), we got the trailer road worthy for transporting the timber from my work to nick's.

Result.....trailer towed very well & brakes work good. The only thing nick mentioned was that the tow hitch damper was a bit soft...but not too bad and not worth £70 for a new one.

Very happy it's all worked out well. I'm now very eager to get it finished and painted!!!

DSC_0260.jpgDSC_0259.jpg

yes....but only just. The widest part of my exmo (over the wheels) is about 67". The trailer is about 68" at the narrowest point on the bed (inside wheel faces) so the car fits between the trailer wheels...but you have to make sure you're dead centre when loading the car.

The reason I wanted the wheel guards removable is so that I dont have to be "inch-perfect" across the trailer width when loading the car. Once the front wheel are past the trailer's wheels, then I have about 3" either side clear as the bed width is 73"

oh....I think they call that "the wrong end of the stick" :rofl:

There is 4" from the top of the wheel to the underside of the arch. I kinda just took a guess at this as the suspension is quite stiff. It only sits less than an inch lower when fully loaded to when it's empty.

Also, when nick used the trailer to shift the wood (close to my car weight in timber), there was only 4" clearence to the temporary guards I made and that didn't cause any issues.

Fingers crossed, but it's not the biggest job to change if there is problems

• 4 months later...

As with most projects, it's taken much longer than expected but it's now almost finished so I thought I would upload some photos of the "almost" finished trailer.

As with most of my project, there will always be something I want to do or impove, but having the V8 engine sat in the garage now for a few week, I've called it finished for now with the following jobs to do as-and-when;

wheel trims

3 new tyres

touch-up paint in places

wire the plug on the hitch end of trailer (I've got the plug ready)

replace broken jockey wheel (got new one ready)

DSCN0145.jpgDSCN0146.jpgDSCN0147.jpg DSC_0479.jpg

• Like 1