Cutting Fluid For Taps

agent_zed

This is one of those things i've done for years and had a thought 'am i actually doing this right?'

When i am using a tap i use some old multi purpose grease for the cutting fluid, should i be using something lighter? used motor oil or something. Could obviously buy proper cutting fluid but i don't do enough to warrant that.

what do people recommend?

thanks

Guest Ian & Carole

Back in the dark ages when an apprentice I was taught using oil, nothing heavier.

Grease will tend to keep the cutting swarf on the job and oil will allow it to flush slightly but still lubricate tool.

Waits to be shot down.................

Guest Brian T

I tend to cut threads quite often and I generally use a light oil , 3in1 or penetrating oil always work well for me. Ditto Ian, grease will keep the swarf on the job and can ruin a thread.

I was taught the cutting grease method and one turn 1/2 back and if a deep thread, occasionally remove and clean off.

The grease is supposed to keep the swarf in the grooves of the tool.

Still, everyone does it their own way and if the threads turn out ok, no way is a wrong way. :)

Simon.

Guest snotfart

the absolute best fluid is trichloroethane if you can get hold of it as i believe it is now banned .

the difference just one drop makes is astonishing.

you will be familiar with that feeling of the tap going tight and you start to worry about snapping it.

if you add a drop of tric at that point the tap suddenly goes slack as if not cutting and stays that way to the bottom of the hole.

keep your eyes peeled at boot sales etc. it used to be a common solvent.

dave

That stuff appears quite nasty. Which form though as there are two isomers mentioned?

http://en.wikipedia....Trichloroethane

Either http://en.wikipedia....Trichloroethane or http://en.wikipedia....Trichloroethane

Both have similar properties and both can intoxicate and kill.

Oh, and yes, both are now banned due to ozone depletion causes which allows harmful UV from the sun)

(I tried to multiquote the last two posts but only got "An Error occurred" - Very helpful :) )

Simon.

Cool thanks guys, at least i wasn't doing something too terible. I do the whole turn then turn back technique. I just broke a tap teh other day so i thought better check i wasn't doing something fundamentally wrong.

Can i just also check its a 5mm hole for a 6mm tap?

thanks

Cool thanks guys, at least i wasn't doing something too terible. I do the whole turn then turn back technique. I just broke a tap teh other day so i thought better check i wasn't doing something fundamentally wrong.

thanks

For most (below M48 i think) the tapping drill is the tread size minus the pitch. eg M6 x 1 as you state is 5mm drill.

For oil, I use Rocal in an aerosol, fairly cheap too.

Years ago we used to use trichloroethane as a cleaner before painting to spuce up the factory before a visit.

I once used it down a scrapballing pit and can remember bouncing up the steps out of the pit high as a kite.

It was also used as a solvent in tipex but not anymore, too many people sniffing it.

Guest Ian & Carole

thanks

Try half turn cut then full turn back to clean cut then half turn cut and so on.