Blue Smoke After Standing For A Couple Of Years...

Jon Green

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been here and even longer since my 2b has seen the road. It's currently in a garage without tax, insurance and mot and has been there since the tax ran out towards the end of 08.

I have occasionally started it up and driven it out and back in, but not more than 20yds and then only every 6 months.

Building work and the birth of my son have brought about this sad situation.... But, I plan to get my hood out once more and get her on the road again.

The point to my post is:

On startup and running there's a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I don't remember it being so smoky when I put the car away in 08.

I'm thinking it's got to be either rings or valve stem seals. I'm going to do a compression test and see what the cylinders are like.

Is there any way to be sure which it is, or is it just a case of stripping the head off and looking?

Cheers,

Jon

hi Jon long time no see, was wondering what had happend to the mobile advery around Bowness, any how back to your problems, it will be the valve guide seals which will have dried out whilst being stored,

easy fix, now get back on the road mate

Mitch

Guest arf!!

defo sounds like stem seals. ive just got the gear to do mine,i took the the plugs out yesterday and number 1 and 3 where soaked with oil, i will do the job in two weeks time as my BRUM\\!! is booked in for a wedding (do) on the 10 of may, AND i dont want to risk it being of the road due to any cock ups!!! i mite make.

Edited by arf!!

Ok, valve stem seals it is then.

I'll take the head off to do it... can I reuse the head gasket and bolts? They've only been on for a about 1000 miles.

also regrind the valve seats if you have the head off and they haven't been done recently. Normally stem seals smoke heavily on start up and then get less. Rings all the time. If its anything like mine though once you have the rocker cover off you can see the cracks in the perished rubber seals!

hth

You don't need to take the head off. Take out the plugs, put the car in gear, look for which cylinders are at bottom dead centre, fill one of those cylinders with softish rope, roll the car forward to compress the rope hard, make sure the valves are closed and yapplu (dyslexia strikes. Apply?) the handbrake. You can now compress the valve spring to remove the collets, spring, seal and refit with new seal. Do the lot in an hour and stick the rocker cover back on. Away you go smoke free.

Nigel

Guest arf!!

no need to take the head off.

ive just got this sealey vs168,(http://www.flickr.co...82@N08/?saved=1) vale spring compressor to do mine £34 from partco take the plugs out fill pot with string or soft 10mm tube turn the crank with a socket intill the piston just comes up under the valve to hold it in place then remove the spring and seal, start at number 1 and work through to number 4 ,but do make sure the valves are fully closed on each pot before you compress the string or tube against the valve, you will need to reset the valve clerance on each pot when you are finished

Edited by arf!!

Guest arf!!

hello jon, arthur here from barrow i was talking to an old freind of yours today he told me to say!!! ( hi and all the best from keith turner at stainton, near dalton in furness)

Hey Arf,

Tell Keith we should get out for a beer some time soon. Has he still got his hood?

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll get some new stem seals ordered and fitted.

Hi,

In answer to your original question, you can differentiate between rings and valve seals on a compression test by noting the compression and then putting a small amount of engine oil down the bore before retesting. If its valve seals it will make little or no difference but if its rings then it will raise the compression by a substantial amount. I once found a noisy (broken) ring in a V8 landrover like this. Also had a 3 cylinder ford tractor that was worn out that was started by putting oil down the bore to raise compression. This is assuming that the engine is in fairly good order in the first place but it will certainly show up a cylinder that is different to the others. I do agree that it is most likely the valve seals though as they do go hard if left unused. Also old petrol won't help with smoking, maybe a good run would help to clear it before you start tearing the engine down.

Kevin