Lovely English Weather

fry61

Went to Cornwall last Wednesday,yes; in all that rain. 200 mile journey was O.K just a little damp mainly from other vehicles. Visibility the main problem,would be useful if drivers used their rear fogs as well as dipped headlights. Holiday passed fine & dry most days except Sunday with only a quick dash to a covered market for oil @£1.50 a litre. Monday dawned wet,very wet;we waited for a lull around 9.30 then headed for home through the gale force wind & rain though not as heavy as Wed.

Into devon & the floods,tip-toed through 9" deep water on some main roads;only got wet thanks to a tranny driver;great fun pushing my bow-wave over the roof (surry) of that funny little car his smile said. Side winds on open stretches of road had us dancing in our lane & spray from passing vehicles made for slow progress. Still, we arrived home warm & damp (heater works a treat, Barrs Leaks doing its job) to find Mother Nature had been busy ,bits of tree all over But no real damage even though the gale had moved our new gazebo 50feet to the west. It was nailed & screwed down in all corners plus had a 160lb anvil tied to the roof plate. ( can just be seen under grey sheeting) The deck chair shows where it was.

post-3135-0-15013600-1335907126_thumb.jpg

post-3135-0-75524300-1335907145_thumb.jpg

Only damage was to the connecting plates so will be welding them back up in a day or two.

Plus side of last weeks wind & rain??? the pond is 5" deeper & the gazebo could of flown north-west --- through the greenhouse.

Using rear fogs in the rain is WRONG, they are fog lights! Sorry, but this really bugs me. In the rain, just like in all conditions, you drive to the distance you can safely see in front. Rear fog lights are for when visibility is impaired in the fog NOT rain! It is also ILLEGAL.

Guest mower man

I think you will find that the lights are for use in poor vis not just fog ,as common sense in their use is sadly lacking !! my ops only mowerman

Must disagree with you on this one Megadodo, heavy rain on dual carriageways/motorways leaves all vehicles travelling in a ball of spray/mist. You & I may be travelling at the speed to suit conditions but the guys behind in taller wagons may think differently,so a fine for illegal use is less painful than a rear ender. Why use dipped headlights to show front of car & rely on 2 x 6watt to protect your rear?

These last few days I have been out and about in torrential rain where the visibility has been poor and at no stage have I not been able to see well enough well in advance any cars without fog lights on. Their side lights are visible, yes fog lights more so but they are not required. You should be driving to the conditions. If the conditions are that bad and drivers are RELYING on someone else having fog lights on then me having then on is not going to stop an accident.

"226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236)."

I concede on the poor visibility legality but if I can see the cars a quarter mile away then they don't need fogs on! I wouldn't mind so much if they bothered to turn them off again when visibility improves but they don't.

Fogs in rain illegal - sphericals. It's an offence to have them turned on unless there is fog "or falling rain".

It's scary how soon that BMW/Audi disappears into it's own cloud of spray when it goes past. Just because I can see them for "far enough" doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them for further. No I shouldn't be relying on the fogs to see them as it might not always be an object with any lights that I need to stop for but I find it hard to believe that you don't want to be able to see them for that bit further if the option is available at the flick of a switch. Personally I want to be as visible as possible/legal so when there's a lot of spray I turn them on front and rear - I knock them off again when exiting the roundabout onto slower surface roads where there is less spray.

The chavs who run around with the front fogs on permanently however I feel should be dragged out of their cars and shot.

Iain