Zero Rear Suspension

gomatthome

Adjusted ride height and softened gaz suspension and have a mech better feel

However I seem to have what I can describe as a mechanical clunking sound comming from rear suspension

Can't seem to see where this might be comming from any zero owners had similar problem or can suggest what I should be looking for

Phil

Hi it has only started since I softened the shocks but I get a much better ride the knocking happens only when driving over bumps which as you know the roads up here are difficult to avoid

Not driven very far yet since on the road so have not tracked the location down yet but it seems to be comming from top of passenger side rear I am sure everything is tightened up but will check again

Phil

Apart from the obvious check it's all nailed on properly clonks could be caused by the suspension, specifically the shock absorber, bottoming out. You say this has only been happening since 'Adjusted ride height and softened gaz suspension'. I am guessing you lowered the ride height. The rear spring will still allow the suspension to move the same distance up for the same bump but it is now starting from further up (compressed shock) so hits the bump stop more readily. Softening the shock dissipates less of the compression forces and the suspension will move a greater distance for a given hit. Both these effects make it more likely the shock will bottom out. Some raise in ride height and slight firming up the shocks will cure. You probably don't have to go all the way back to your previous settings.

Nigel

I actually raised the ride height because the floor of the car was hitting speed bumps even at low speeds so the springs are more compressed the floor is now 4.25 inches clearance at rear 4 at front.

will stiffening the adjuster still help?

phil

Guest Ian & Carole

If the springs are any where near coil bound now then the noise you have could be the coils touching.

If you are happy with your new ride hight it might be worth considering going up 50lb on you spring rate, keeping the same spring length.

HTHs

Phil

Have a check of the bolt at the top of the rear shock. When tightened they are very close to the frame. Mine was just touching and gave a simlar clunk when the suspension was pressed down - simply cured by spacing with a slightly thicker washer (Although it did take some finding!)

alternatively, it could be the shock becoming fully extended, my fronts do this very occasionally on speed bumps if I am going too fast.