Poor Running

Guest DROID

Guest DROID

I'm suffering from annoying problem since the weekend. I thought l'd run out of petrol but on refueling the car started fine and l decided to go for a blast down the motorway but on acceleration the car start to bog down like it was out of fuel again. I backed off and she seemed to be okay but a minute or two later it happened again. I struggled home but any time you accelerated the car just bog down. I,ve checked all the basics but l can't see anything untoward. I tried it again tonight but the issue start after about 5 minutes or so.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.......Andy

Guest DROID

I've just took the car from another drive and now when your driving it just stops, you need to sit for a couple of minutes and it starts again but the same will happen shortly afterwards. I've got a clear fuel line from the tank and l don,t remember seeing all the air bubbles before. The car is a standard 2 litre pinto with a 38 dgas. The only change I've made to car over the winter is the fitting of triumph gauges, could it be the rev counter connection as I've only done about 30 miles........

Andy

You have not by any chance got any braided fuel hose's have you, as there has been some substandard internal rubber hose fitted that is not compatible with unleaded fuel, this problem caught me out and i found it just before going for a drive, i was very lucky.

HTH

could be water in the fuel. i once took 1 litre of water out of a petrol tank! i was sure it was tescos as we'd only filled up the day before, couldn't prove it though.

open the carb and check the float chamber hasn't got any water in, should be able to see it at the bottom if there is. can also check the float level whilst you are at it.

if its been sat for a while then aluminium salts could be blocking a jet

hth

What fuel pump are you using? If you say small block Facet type with metal bullet filter go and stand in the naughty corner. Sounds like a blocked filter problem. If it's not the filter it will be goo in the fuel line somewhere. Reverse flush to remove.

Nigel

Guest DROID

It's the standard fuel pump fitted to the block. I'll check the fuel lines Carb later and advise.

Thanks for the pointers guys...........Andy

Guest fatherhood

This sounds the same as i had, called the AA and he diagnosed fuel pump.

Car started and ran but when put under pressure could not pump enough fuel so just died, soon as enough fuel was back at the carb it would start again, new fuel pump on now seems fine.

This was on 1.6 pinto standard mechanical pump, it was a cheap fix but annoying all the same.

Dave