Prop Shaft Failure

richardm6994

I've carried out an investigation tonight into a noise I've been hearing from my tunnel.

After suspecting the gearbox mount, it's turn out to be the prop shaft UJ failure as it has about half an inch of slap in it!!

So, obviously the prop shaft has to come out and as such I've got a couple of questions (being mindful mines an exmo);

Does the diff have to be completely removed, or can I just loosen the mounts and disconnect the prop?

Also, is it a UJ repair (it looks as tho the spider in the middle can be taken out by removing circlips)...or a completely new prop? I suppose I'll know more once the prop is out.

Finally, if it is a new prop which is my only option, were can I get one from for an exmo and how much are they???

VERY ***BLEEPED*** OFF STEAMER!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about yours but some of the 2b props were made with seamed tubing which is not what it should be made of. Worth getting a completely new prop if it is seamed. Think i've seen people post they are around £200 but don't know first hand. I'd take it to a prop expert if possible and see whether it is worth repairing or replacing.

hth

I'll look at it next week mate when you have it off. The Hardy Spicers are changeable if they're held in with circlips.

Fiddly, but a piece of fluid from the bladder to swap (read... i'll do it for you).

I reckon you'll get a prop from GBS if it needs one, they're good now RH influence as died away on the anything

will do front.

Give me a ring on Sun if your garage token works by then. 8)

cheers darling, I mite pop round tomorra on my way home from work if your in to borrow your ramps (if poss?) as I lent mine out a few years ago and never seen them since!

I've had another look at it and I don't think I'll need a new prop, just a new hardy spicer. I'm still not looking forward to getting the prop off tho....I reckon it's gonna be a right barstool

Guest shaggy

Richard, is your prop one with the rubber doughnut at the front end? If so I would have a new one made up. Mine had play in it for quite a while, with rubber shreds all around the inner walls of the tunnel.

I got a new one made up at NW propshafts, cost just uner 120, and well worth the money.

With regards getting it out, you will need to remove driveshafts and diff.

HTH

Si

It aint got the dougnut so that's possibly the only silver lining to all this.

I'm hoping that I can take the prop out out and change the spider in the middle. I've watched a couple of videos on youtube and it looks easy enough. It's just getting the the prop out of the car that I'm not looking forward to.

I've got my fingers crossed that I can remove the diff mounting bolts, gearbox mounting bolts & engine mounting bolts so that I can leave the drive shafts in place and establish enough movement in the diff and gearbox to be able to get the prop out. I've never had to do this before so I'm probably peeing in the wind with this idea as usual!!!

Car broken = sunny weekend

Car fixed.....cue the rain

Guest mower man

Hi Rich has yuor car got a full tunnel? if so prop removal can be awkward depending how far the floor goes toward the diif but it's not immpossible slackening al the things you list will help .My car has'nt got a full tunnel and prop removal is a breeze the orig builder left a little f/r slack [ tolerance] which alows enough clearance to pull the prop after removing just the 4 prop bolts ,whether this was intended or not I don't know but it is v/handy ,a handy lad like your self should have no trouble replacing the joints unless they are staked in instead of circlips [removing the stakes can be tricky ] replace both joints ,if one was ready the other one will be! HTH mick

Guest Hoppo

I’m in the same boat, rolled S7 out the garage yesterday and there was a knocking noise and seem to be front prop shaft UJ joint. Got under car and I could twist the prop with my hand and create the noise

Hopefully I can undo rear bolts on diff and pull the prop out (hopefully???)

Does anyone know where a repair kit could be bought or if there are any prop repairers near Grimsby/Scunthorpe/Lincoln?

Was thinking about getting a new or second hand front piece and getting it welded on. Would this be a good or bad idea?

Sorry for high jacking this thread but was just about to start a new one till I found this in the search bar

Thanks Steve

Guest robinj66

I had a failure of the prop UJ's on my return from the first SVA. My prop was an extremely tight fit and I I had to repair in situ (S7 with a solid tunnel). I had to cut an inspection pabnel out. My UJ's were held in with circlips and I managed to find a replacement at Euro car Parts - not sure if they have them that far North but worth a try at Ajay's etc.

Guest mower man

Hoppo don't think about cutting and shutting !! if it lets go bye bye legs etc get a proper prop £120ish and be safe .Ithink GBS have the equipment if you really want to repair i but it would probably cost as much as anew prop! mowerman

Was thinking about getting a new or second hand front piece and getting it welded on. Would this be a good or bad idea?

A very BAD idea. Remember that props turn 3 or 4 times faster than road wheels and if they aren't properly balanced, they can fly apart and cause huge damage.

Simon.

Guest Hoppo

Thanks Mowerman /Simon B been to local motor parts today, 4 in total, 3 told me they could get the parts depending which ones are needed.

Did speak to someone at Parkinson’s in Boston who build props, Quoted me aprox £18 for the UJ’s circlip type, Best part of £100 If they are staked and they do it or they can build me a new one around £160 + vat.

Did ring GBS Friday but everyone were at lunch and didn’t get chance to ring back so going to try again Monday.

Mowerman you say about £120ish for a prop can you give me any names that build them so I can double check the prices

Of to the garage to start taking to bits again

Thanks Hoppo

The good news for me propshaft out in 30 minutes. the bad news for me is there's no circlips so must be press in type. Looks like I’ll send it away to see if it's worth fixing or just get a new one. What pi??ed me off was there was a tiger and Westfield out enjoying the sun, never mind hopefully on the road for June

How are you getting on richardm6994?