No Start After Breakdown

Greenie

No start after breakdown ..... Please help!

Can anyone out PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.. Took the Indy out on Wednesday night and it was running great, until about a mile from home, the engine just died without any indication.

At first I thought it was out of fuel so directly went to get some fuel via he wife, anyway big do's and little do's it didn't respond, turned over but no start.

Got I home and my first thoughts were the usual fuses etc. and the feed to the fuel pump. It was not doing the usual ticking but nothing. So checked the power to the pump and put the faithful test lamp on it and when you turn the ignition on it lights up then goes out. Put some live to he pmp and it runs.

Is this a relay issue or ECU issue, I am totally baffled and really do need some help and guidance, so i would appreciate anyone who has any clues on his very worring concern?.

The engine set up a fuel injected 2ltr Blacktop.

Regards

A very worried man

Hi,

It obviously sounds like an electrical issue. I would check whether there is a spark first in case the coil pack has died.

You don't mention which ECU you are using, I presume Emerald?

This ECU has an LED on the bottom which turns red when ignition on and the green when it detects the engine turning signal.

The issues could be the crank sensor, coil pack and possibly injector electrical connectors.

Are they all secure?

The fuel pump is supposed to cut out from the Emerald after six seconds as a safety issue. So that sounds like the ECU is working. Again, check all ECU sensors on the engine.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

Not sure what ECU it is, just that it is tucked away under the scuttle panel behind the dash, I will do as you say and start with all the connections etc...... Peter

Guest oshiney2

hi greenie been having the same problem with mine and like u i am baffffeled unit 18oo zetec can u let me know how you get on thanks obe

hi greenie been having the same problem with mine and like u i am baffffeled unit 18oo zetec can u let me know how you get on thanks obe

Hi of course I will, t is very puzzling, may I also add tat yours is my old Robin Hood which has a megajolt ignition system, it was prone to losing its default map, do out have the ed and lap top to reinstate a map?

Does the engine run if you leave power connected to the pump? If so the signal from the ECU to the relay or the relay is at fault.

When I placed a direct live from the battery to be pump and then try to connect a separate earth it shrts out, hence this is telling me my pump s faulty, which was replaced about 4weeks go. ..... Going o try my old pump back o tomoz, which has a slight el, but may prove a point, what o you think.......?

Guest Sharky

Similar thing happened to me on way to IVA Test!

My problem was that the hp pump relay had worked loose from the housing. Re-seating it fixed the problem.

Another thing to check is whether you have oil pressure - sounds left field but sometimes people use oil pressure sensor to provide a earth for the pump, so that in an accident, if the engine oil pressure dies then the pump cuts out and hence there is no HP fuel pi55in everywhere.

Sharky

Injected MK chassis. What's the engine? Lifter pump, swirl pot and high pressure pump or just the HP one. As far as I'm aware HP pumps don't tick and it's only the facet bullet integral/inline filter I have a major thing about and that's been much better since I've been on the pills.

First thing I would do is take the feed off the rail and stick it in a milk bottle and then cycle the ignition on/off a few times. You should get a powerful steady flow in jets lasting for 2, 5, 6, 10, seconds depending on what the ecu is set to deliver prior to engine start. If this is OK then now turn ignition to the start position and if the crank pickup is working you should get a continuous fuel flow that will fill the bottle very quickly. If it does then you have established fuel system OK and crank pickup and you can go on to check sparks, cam belt etc.

Obviously when you reach a fail point you investigate back. If you have two pumps you need to check the output of both.

The nine is a 2ltr Blacktop, it is the in line high pressure pump, before the breakdown I would normally switch the ignition on and you cod hear the pump kick in and tick for a few seconds then it would start as soon as you pushed the start button. I have discovered that when I place a separate live and earth it goes to short out......... Which leads me to believe the pump is at fault?

Guest oshiney2

h greenie yes i have the ed and lap top i was going to put the car in for a tune up on rolling road to see if they could find out what was wrong do you think if i tell them your info this would help or could i fix it my self ?

Hi it happened to me when I had the car and i reloaded a map, it was a little temperamental but must admitt did run a treat, had some great fun creating my own maps.

I would deffinately start with a new map I sod the car with a lap top holding loads if maps, s this the same lap top?