Shortened Sump

Big Jim

It's about 3 years ago now that Matt persuaded me to do the article on shortening the sump. After our little trip into Wales the other weekend, it became obvious to Jim Robbo, that he should have shortened his long ago (mind you, you do get good MPG when you're on the back of an AA truck!)

How have people gone on with this? has anyone paid silly money to have it done for them? I noticed on the old discussion board a firm offering them at £50 exchange. I've also seen both ends of the scale (I think!) £15 and £150 or do you know different?

:rolleyes:

Hi Jim

I took you're advice and had mine done before fitting the engine, as per your article, (a friend did the welding for the cost of a few pints)and very glad I did as it might not have been my lower cross member that was catching/ ploughing the lanes on the recent Welsh trip and that would have meant 2 AA relay trucks for the trip home.

Guest DaveB

Hi Jim

Its a great mod easy to do and cheap I walked into a sheet metal firm in Poole ask to buy a foot square of 3mm and 1.5mm mild steel, they gave them to me free of charge. Job done, under test see post in mechanics.

Thanks Jim

Dave B :D :rolleyes: :D :D

Hi Jim,

Well I used the article to shorten mine. I was a bit concerned that with the expansion tank fitted, all the oil would disappear into it on hard cornering and leave the pipe with none so I didn't do that bit.

I did however assume that I could do it with my MIG welder, but you really do need a TIG welder don't you, at much expense and much skill at welding. I had a real problem trying to seal mine :( with much stress, I did get it sealed however but I had to use lots of blue hylomar and thread locking compound, what a bodge, It might bite me in the future but it hasn't leaked yet.

I read somewhere that you should set the height of the oil pipe after you have cut the sump and before you weld, glue, selotape (delete as applicable) the plate on the bottom because you can place the sump onto the engine and see how close the pipe is to where the bottom will be (remember the space for the sump gasket as well).

I’m really pleased I did it though, there are lots of stories about people smacking them on the ground!