Wiring Nightmare

kevin the chicken

Hi everybody,

I have gradually been working my way through the jobs on my spares or repair e-bay purchase and believe me they described it accurately! It does now run of a fashion ( still needs someone to sort out the twin 45s properly) but I am now at the stage where the electrics need sorting out so I can get it booked in for the MOT. This is the job I have been putting off because I don't really understand stuff I cant see! Is there anybody nearby who likes/understands it enough to want to give me a hand?

The wiring is a mess with odd bits of wire poking out of the loom, joins crimped in with different coloured wires joined together and some of it in the engine bay looks fried (have wrapped the manifold now, excuse me while I have a scratch). Not to mention the random earth wires screwed to anything and everything. It looks as if the original loom from the donor car has been used (a sierra) but now it is running a vauxhall red top so now doubt this has resulted in a few more dodgy crimps. I guess all these joins should be soldered and covered with heat shrink really

I may be that I have to go for a complete rewire when funds permit but at the moment I just want to get it roadworthy and the recent good weather has added an urgency to my desire to get out there.

If anybody can give me a hand then let me know, the kettle is always on and there is a plentiful supply of eggs and bacon.

Kevin

Hi Kev,

Might be worth getting in touch with Dan (Notimpressed) I know he was offering his services. H e has done quite a bit of wiring for some of the other members and is not a million miles away from you.

HTH

• Like 1

Guest Ratcatcher3D

Kev I was in the same boat 6months back, just keep doing a small sections and don't think about the big tangle behind the dash. All will work out.

Electrics is my thing and I like a challenge. Are you around over the long weekend? If so I can pop over and see what state the loom is in and suggest the best way forward for you and maybe even get my hands dirty.

Hi,

Yes I am about this weekend, in fact I am not back to work until next wednesday. The car is undercover in my nearly completed garage and is on dollies so that it can be shoved around easily amongst my other projects. Let me know what suits you and we'll exchange contact details somehow. Meanwhile I'll try and get something simple like the horn to work!

Regards

Kevin

The horn is an earthing switch that triggers a relay in the fuse box. Check for permanent live at pin 30 on the relay, and switched earth from the column switch! Dead easy... :rofl: if wiring is your thing of course! Anyway, I'll check the weather nearer to the weekend as it might be a good excuse to take my 2B out for a run. I'll pm you my number.

I am originally from Cambridge but I still don't understand a word you say! I have found what I think is the fuse box, looks like an ice cream tub so I shall be careful how I open it in case its full of choc chip. There are other little fuse blocks dotted about and an inline one like the type you would use for a stereo. There is no column switch, all the switches are mounted on the dash including the indicator which I assume is the three position rocker switch. There's another two position rocker near it but I have no idea what this is for. There is a small bare bulb stuck on the underside of the dash with some sort of mastic, very pretty but it doesn't seem to do anything. I nearly forgot the wire on the diff, what the heck could that be, a random earth? It could and will be a nice car I think but you can see what I am up against no knowing much about electrics.