Tin Top Question

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

Lads,

My tintop Subaru Legacy 2.5 GX (MY2000) has an intermittent misfire. I have changed the fuel filters and run injector cleaner as two cheap quick checks but its still there. You'll be travelling along on my daily 6 mile trip to town and you'll get a misfire then a couple of minutes later another. Other times you'll go on the same jouney and no probs at all. Any ideas before I start wasting money chasing it?

Cheers

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Hammy,

It could be lots of things as above but they are not as intermittent as burnt or pitted inlet valves. I can only suggest that the valves rotate slowly and in one position they don't seal and it feels like the engine has just about been turned off. Its not an easy one to tell by a compression test either.

Are you on the road yet?

Guest Hammy360

Thanks,

The misfire is very slight and not like the engine has been turned off. I'll check the other points.

Zero is just waiting IVA

Guest mcramsay

the hardest part is finding out what system is at fault, either ignition or fueling. personally i would be really surpried if you have valve problems on a subaru, unless your mixture is well out of limits, if so you would have many other symptoms. but as i said cars are hard to diagnose these days without the correct computer software. personally if it was me, i would look on ebay for a fault code reader, and then go from there,