Overheating Problems

churchy

Hi, can anybody help me, i have an S7 and this is the second season i have run her, the first season i did not have a temp gauge and the radiator was old and leaking so i have no idea what she was running temp wise. This winter i fitted new smith flight dials, a new radiator ( size 440mmx 460mmx35mm) i flushed out the block with clean fresh water and fitted this rad at about 30 degrees to get it into the nose cone but the rad is still the highest point, there is no t/stat fitted and an electric fan that is operated by a switch on the dash,the water pump spins freely and you can see i sligth ripple of the water when you spin the pump by hand thro the radiator cap opening, there is no header tank just an overflow tank that should blow and such as the rad cap opens, this is new and operates at 13 lbs,all this is fitted to a 2 litre pinto.

When i run the car after about 10/15 miles the temp gauge rises and keeps rising to 80 and then slower to 100/105 at which time i switch the engine off, if i let her idle the temp will fall to about 80 and this is with the fan running all the time.

Can anyone help me, is the rad too small, any advise will be greatfully received.

Cheers Andy

Guest old_timbo

Are you getting the temperature readings from your new gauge? Are you sure they are correct? What make of gauge do you have and do you have the correct sender for it?

Guest Mr_Frosty

Make sure the whole system is sealed and the correct level of antifreeze is in. Any slight leak and the temp will rise as the pressure is dropped, same goes with antifreeze that has an affect on the boiling temp of water.

Saying this though 100-105 degrees C doesn't sound that hot to me if you are racing it.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Also switching off the engine brings the temperature up as it is not being circulated.

Mr_Frosty

Ducting the rad will help, this stops air going round the rad instead of through it.

Running without a stat is not recomended as flow is to strong, you need a blanking plate or an 82degree stat from Burton performance then drill a 4mm hole in the top of the plate to bleed air.

I have a T piece with cap as an air bleed in the 16mm hose from water pump to inlet manifold and can top up the system from there eliminating any air.

I have wedged up the rear of the bonnet 1/2" this let's a lot of hot air out of the engine bay, I have wrapped the exhaust manifold.

Last bit of heat control was a much bigger 47 double core radiator and a 16 row oil cooler

Guest mower man

100degs seems hot to me! my 2.1runs at just under 90 ,fan in at 95 out at 86 ,themostat 82 with 3 mm hole drilled in it rad is upright and with sides top and bottom ducted to make air go through not around core .Are you getting rid of hot air from under bonnet? ,side louvres etc make a big difference ,exhaust wrap helps too HTH mower man :clapping:

Hi, i have already wrapped my exhuast and have two shark vents as i call them,one each side to release hot air,.

i have been in the garage all day today and have sorted the problem out,it was that most of the cool fresh air entering the nose cone was taking the easiled route and not flowing through the radiator but around it, so i have boxed the nose cone around the radiator so that all the cool fresh air entering has to go through the radiator, took the car out today and she ran at 75 to 85 depending on the speed and traffic.

i would like to thank all of you for your advise and imformation which lead me in the right diection and to solve my problem,it is great to know that there is always someone out there to leand a solution and help, once again thank you everybody and what a great owners club it is, i hope to meet some of you at the newark kit car show,

Cheers Andy

Guest Ian & Carole

Great news.

You might find now that on a cool day you will struggle to get to temp.

On the way to and from Stoneleigh this year my car ran cold, I intend to put a sliding vent in my ducting to allow air to pass by the rad to allow the engine to get warm.

Just no winning some times.