At Last

Guest Dredd

Guest Dredd

At 18:57 today, the Super Spec spluttered into life, fillling the garage with black smoke, but it ran; lumpy i'll admit, but nonetheless, it ran. Now, all I have to do is get it running about right, find out why the horn runs continuously, the indicators dont work nor the wipers....... but it fired up! :lol: :D :D :D

Guest Battery Bill

Nice one Derek I bet Michael is chuffed.

The horn must be a bit of a pain! But how do you know its running lumpy when all you hear is the horn :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Guest Bernie

This may not be the answer to your horn problems but for what it's worth, if you've got the Mountney steering wheel and hub, I hit two problems with the horn sounding off when it shouldn't.

First, one of the terminals on the Mountney horn push earths through a spring clip onto the hub, If the pair of wires you pick up from the loom are wrong way round then you finish up with a permanent earth to the horn relay.

Secondly, on my setup the slip ring assembly from the old Sierra wheel wasn't a very good fit in the Mountney hub, sitting off slightly to one side. This had the effect that at certain steering wheel positions it was possible to get a short between the two horn wires, sounding the horn, and at other positions of the wheel the horn push had no effect. I eventually cured this by centralising the slip ring assemblt through careful use of a needle file on the Mountney hub and finally offsetting the slip ring pick up slightly by shimming it in it's colum housing.

I hope this helps you some, happy hunting.

Guest bugsy

Congratulations Dredd, souds good dont it! :D :D :D

Are you useing the RH supplied horn button? if so try pressing it again, it is a LATCHING button, ie press once = on press again= off, i have replaced this with a MOMENTARY one from Europa, about 3 quid, the indicators took me bloody ages to sort because of a bad earth (not going directly to the chassis)

Well done on the engine front. :D

Ps have you got the small pipe running from the ECU to the injection manifold, i missed this off at first and it ran like a bag of spanners, this little pipe made all the difference.

Well done again, wont be long now!

Bugsy

Guest Dredd

Bugsy, re the pipe, no I haven't, but I will soon have!! Thanks :rolleyes: Also, have you connected the breather pipes on top of the right hand side cam cover? :unsure:

Just realised what I said. Does it matter which breather as I have two open and one capped? :blink:

Guest Dredd

Berni

Thanks, the Super Spec does use the Mountney wheel, coupled to a Ford steering shaft but with Honda (Japenese) anyway stalks. It's a bit heath robinson but for now I am having to use a push switch mounted next to the gear lever to activate. :huh:

Guest bugsy
Does it matter which breather as I have two open and one capped?

I have done what RH have done, if you look on My Trip to RH

The top left pic shows which breather pipe to use and which to block, so you have two blocked and one going to the ECU.

Bugsy