S7 Mk2 Wheels Have Different Camber

Guest HS88

Guest HS88

I have just noticed that my front wheels have different camber. The left wheel appears to be pretty much vertical, but the right wheel looks to lean left or right, depending on which way you turn the steering wheel. This is only visible when you turn the wheel to the left or right. In the 'straight' position they both look vertical.

From looking at the lower arm to the right wheel hub, it appears to be further forward than the left.

Could this simply be due to the anti roll bar being mounted too far forward on the right side?

Or does anyone know of any other possible reasons?

Thanks!

Guest mower man

Camber should be adjustable ,check for worn,bent bits etc may only need setting up correctly [are you the guy that requested tie bar info?] .Where in Derbys are you ? The a/roll bar needs throwing away and tie bars fitted get intouch may be able to visit mower man

Guest HS88

Thanks for the reply; yes I did request the info. See PM for address - if you were able to pop over sometime that would be brilliant!!

I am considering replacing the ARB with tie bars since this might solve the problem....

I have just replaced the ARB bushes and this is when I noticed how out of alignment it looked.

I could take a photo tomorrow if that helps?

Thanks

simple check is to look down at the front suspension from the top and compare the position of the lower arm with the top wishbone on each side. I expect you will see a difference. Also look from low down at the front, and compare the relationship of the rack arm to the control arm on either side.

Guest HS88

Thanks Peter - from looking down the right TCA is foward whereas the left TCA is more or less parallel to the upper wishbone, ie at ~90 degrees to the forward direction.

I think as has been mentioned, adjustable tie bars should solve this problem, but as a cause of the problem, I think SnapperPaul has it in one - the ARB must be bolted to the chassis incorrectly. Wish I Had noticed this before buying! oops.

'Wish I Had noticed this before buying'

Only to use as a bargaining chip. It's a minor settings problem only. The forward/aft position of the ARB/tie bar/bottom wishbone relative to the top wishbone sets the castor angle on each side of the front suspension. The castor angle is responsible for part of the camber change when the wheels are turned. The greater the castor angle the greater the camber change on turning. Castor does other things as well such as providing part of the self centering effort. To start with you should measure the castor angle on both sides of the car to see just what you have. It wouldn't hurt to measure camber and toe in the straight ahead position also but not essential. It is then a simple bit of maths to work out how much you need to move the ARB mounts back on the right and/or forwards on the left to give a castor of 5 degrees on both sides.

In the original builders defence I would point out they will have been building in an era when little emphasis was put on front suspension settings, possibly before this website and it's information existed. Many were just putting them together so they looked about right,and didn't have a clue about castor, KPI, camber or toe.

Nigel

post-21-0-93348900-1338812069_thumb.jpg

Guest HS88

Nigel - thanks very much. The information and images are very helpful.

I agree that perhaps they didn't have such useful information to hand when building, and perhaps since then something has taken a hit/bump and taken things a bit out of alignment.

I will try and get some photos up so everyone can see the issue...